GMAT Test Centre Experience

Have suggestions to improve this community?
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Test Centre Experience

by d999 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:01 am
I'm not one to normally vent/ complain but I had a horrible test centre experience during my last attempt ( Prestige Atrium, Bangalore)- the test centre was also accommodating people who were there to give another corporate/ company based test; consequently, there was a lot of noise, the other students kept taking off their masks ( prompting the proctor to keep coming in and reminding the students to wear the masks), and people were constantly talking just outside the exam room and sometimes in the exam room as well- (to the proctor). Further, the temperature of the room was unbelievably cold ( Pearson doesn't allow jackets/ pullovers to add to everything). Additionally, the proctor had sign in issues after the first break, eating into the quant section time by a couple of minutes.

I had lodged a complaint against this test centre on December 2nd, 2019 as well but no action was taken- they had made me change seats because of system failure- Pearson didn't take action & I let it go. ( this was the only centre that had the dates I wanted this time, so I went ahead).

I have reached out to Pearson about the same again- I do hope that these pointers are taken seriously this time around and my attempt doesn't go for a waste because of extremely unprofessional behaviour of the other students at the exam centre ( there was no mention that Pearson also accommodates other students giving various other exams- should I have known that there would be a huge crowd of such students, I would definitely NOT have booked the exam at this centre).

Re: GMAT Test Centre Experience

by d999 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:02 am
Update from Pearson: an excerpt of their reply that really doesn't help:

As per the complaint you submitted, we have conducted an investigation with the test center. We are sorry to hear about the experience you faced on your exam date. At our testing centers, there are some distractions we are unable to prevent as they are out of our control. Some of those distractions may include, but are not limited to, individuals entering and exiting the testing room, coughing, speaking due to communicating with the test administrator, typing, or other noises associated with taking an exam.

Pearson VUE is not able to offer a fully silent exam environment, there will always be a level of background noise from activity within the test centre.

Re: GMAT Test Centre Experience

by d999 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:04 am
Respected @officialGMAT,

I understand that the issue at hand is out of scope for GMAC but I request you to please look into the situation. Pearson doesn't seem to be co-operating and they have sent a response not related with the issue at hand.

During the exam, there was a lot of noise of people talking to the TA and the TA had to keep reminding the students to wear their masks (nowhere in my complain have I mentioned "individuals entering and exiting the testing room/ coughing, etc"). People (including the TA) kept talking outside the testing room which was disturbing- please check the relevant videos for validation. Constant reminders to meet safety standards is a cause for concern and a disturbance to others involved. Further, as mentioned, the centre was overcrowded because the centre accommodated students giving another corporate exam- no information about the number of people was mentioned.

Additionally, the TA had sign in issues that ate into the timing of the second half of the exam.

GMAC promises a 'safe and fair' testing environment but this centre did not meet the standard. I have given the exam twice at another centre (Pride Hulkul, Bangalore) and was extremely happy with the environment.

I request a fair resolution to the issue because this is a matter of the next two years of someone's life- an aspect that Pearson seems to take very lightly.