Question about GPA in Graduate Business School....?

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Hello Folks,

I decided to go to a well known accredit business college not university in NYC because I thought I had a good chance to obtain a 4.0 GPA in Accounting for my Master Degree and the cost of tuition is affordable. However after all the hard work, I failed to obtain an A in one of my accounting course and end up with a B (every other class I had an A grade). Due the B grade it had dropped my GPA from a 4.0 to 3.92.
I always wanted to be on stage during the graduation commencement and be one (recognized) ) of the top 10 students in the college and receive a metal for my achievement. But because of my 3.92 GPA It did not happen as I had plan to due to a professor that I will hate him for the rest of my life and did not want to change the grade and when I tried to convince the professor to do so it was too late to change grade due to school policy (the time for change in grade has passed). I am looking at resume and I feel depressed over my GPA.

Do you think I make a big mistake or I lost an good opportunity that I will regret for the rest of my life??? consequence (Pro Vs Con as far having 4.0 GPA VS 3.92 GPA) ?? Any Thoughts or comments??

Thanks,
Sam

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:21 pm
Hi Sam,

First off, a 3.92 GPA is an impressive feat (even though you didn't end up with a 4.0). I'm going to assume that this was for an undergraduate degree, so I'm curious why you're pondering whether you made a "big mistake" or not? As it stands, you can't change any of this, so over-thinking these past choices probably won't do much for you. Are you planning to apply to grad school at some point (or seek an MBA)? If so, then I can tell you that a 3.92 will be well above average at ANY school that you might choose to apply to.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by phoenix9801 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:33 am
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your reply, But actually I went to Pace University for my undergraduate degree in Accounting and graduated with a GPA of 3.38. Then I decided to do my Masters in Accounting at Iona Collage because the cost of tuition was affordable and offered me a scholarship. Although I ended up repeating most of the accounting that I toke at Pace University while doing my Master's at Iona because I missed out on the 5 year program which allowed you, to complete Bachelors and Masters in Accounting in 5 years. I though working with the top accounting firms was more important after graduating with a bachelor degree. (Note: I did find out if you graduate with an accounting degree and for some reason you want do your master in accounting almost any university or college will make you repeat some of the course that you toke during your undergraduate year in accounting that would include most of the well known university, for example NYU, Fordham University, and etc...)
While doing my Master I decided to leave my one of the Top Accounting Firms (worked Full-Time) and work Part-Time as a Tax Accountant. Hence, it would allow me to concentrate more on my school study and hope to obtain a 4.0 GPA.

I am so upset because I received a B in one of the easy course compare to the most difficult accounting course I have taken which I obtained all A's on them. Obviously there must be a good for graduate students to compete in the top 10 graduate student in the school, which until now I do not know what is the benefit behind it, but must be some good reason for doing so. (Note: I did ask my dean to retake the course to obtain an A, but he thought I was bit crazy for doing that. Not sure if he was trying to help me or pretending to help me). I feel I lost a good opportunity to be something great.

Any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciate it ??

Thanks,
Sam

by phoenix9801 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:26 pm
Any opinions would be greatly appreciate.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:54 pm
Hi Sam,

I'm not clear what you're specifically asking about. What was a 4.0 supposed to do for you that a 3.92 won't?

Now that you've graduated with your Masters, what are you planning to do next? Are you planning to go back to school for your MBA? Are you going to use your Masters as a means to get a new job?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:07 pm
One B is not the end of the world. Plenty of people have gotten into good business school with worse GPAs. Your biggest questions will be what kind of work experience you have? How well did you score on the GMAT? What do your recommenders say about you? Those will all have far more weight than this one grade.