New to beattheGMAT

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

New to beattheGMAT

by deez » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:59 pm
Hey guys, my name is Derek and I'm new to the forums here. I rushed my first GMAT attempt back in the spring of 2011. At the last minute, I decided to apply for the MBA program at a local university, so I didn't have a lot of time to study. I recently decided to re-take the GMAT and apply to ph.d. programs. I am hoping to take the GMAT in a little over a month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I attempt to crush the GMAT. This forum seems to be a great place for those prepping for the GMAT. Thanks in advance for all the help you guys will offer.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:15 pm
Hi Derek,

Welcome to the BTG forums.

You're certainly not the first person to underestimate the GMAT and rush your prep.
Before you commit to retaking the GMAT in a little over a month, I suggest that you take a free official practice test (test Link
official practice test: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx)

Doing so will give you an idea of the work required to reach your target score. There are other great reasons to take a practice test early in your studies. They are outlined in this article I wrote for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/05/ ... st-already

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by deez » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:23 pm
Thanks Brent for the great advice. I read your article, and I agree completely. Blindly walking into the GMAT the first time was intense and probably not too wise. I will be taking a practice exam ASAP. Although i'm not sure how much work it'll take, I want the highest score possible. So if I'm not sleeping or working, this next month will consist of my nose buried in a book. I've already told my wife she'll have to find a new hobby for the month. Most ph.d. schools cut off applications around early jan-mid feb. I'm sure I don't have enough time to fully prepare and apply for the early Jan schools. So I will put all of my focus into preparation for now, and focus on the mid-Feb schools after I rock the GMAT.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:13 pm
Good stuff, deez.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com