300 on my first prep test am i GMAT material

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Just started with the GMAT and did my first GMAT prep test, i got a 300;

I have not even started with studying and im already wondering do i have what it takes to get to 600 or 700.

As a start its already demoralising, wondering if you have to be a particular person to do the GMAT's

Im 27 with 3 years work experience and wish to do a masters, with a 300 im not expecting to get anywhere.

Any advice would be appreciated

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by LadySerenity » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 am
I just wanted to say "hi" and OF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT!! :D

I'm in a similar situation. I'm 27, did terrible in school, but am looking to turn things around. I'm looking to apply to a state school, not really a top business school as it is more likely I will get in there.

Start looking for inspiration on this site. Particularly here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/how-to-g ... n-the-gmat

Even if you study this program and DON'T get a 700 or above, you are likely to do well enough to get in to a state school program. Did you know my school doesn't even have a required score? It just requires you to take the test! :)

You can do it. Confidence is the first key and studying is the second. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 pm
Hi agargash,

Don't let your initial CAT score demoralize you; the GMAT has some unique aspects that you've probably never seen before (such as Data Sufficiency questions). The good news is that the GMAT is standardized, so it's going to look the same and ask you the same types of questions every time you take it, so you can prepare for what's coming. If these types of tests are difficult for you, then you'll likely find it helpful to enroll in a GMAT course. You can decide how much time and money you'd like to spend on this process, but you should look around, try out some of the freebies that are offered by the various companies (hint hint: see below) and enroll in the one that best fits your personality and budget.

If you have any questions, then feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by johnperregaux » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:00 am
I will highly recommend you set aside a few months and read each and everyone one of the Manhattan GMAT books. I wanted to brush up and get a comprehensive review of everything that COULD be tested and so far I am 5 books in and have learned so much! While it is possible to answer questions without actually doing the math the right way, it is so helpful to grasp all of the concepts.

Just the feeling of knowing how the problems are the way they are is a great feeling. Very confidence boosting !!

Get the books, read, do problems, rinse, repeat, win, slaughter!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:32 pm
What does it take to score well? Lots and lots of studying. And not just reading the books or taking random practice tests. Focused studying. For someone starting where you are, I would highly recommend a class. It will be a small investment in the grand scheme of things. In the meantime, seek out meaningful new work experiences that will bolster your resume in case you still score poorly.