GMAT Retake??

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Retake??

by GMAT_quest92 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:17 am
Hi, I just gave my first GMAT attempt and scored a 710 (Q50,V35), 6 on IR & 5 on AWA. While this is the average score for my target school, i am reading posts that say, getting into Big 3 strategy consulting requires a score upwards of 720. I prepared for about 4-5 weeks for the test. While maths was easier given my engineering background, balancing accuracy and speed was difficult on the verbal section. I was mostly relying on intuition and felt that a more systematic and GMAT oriented strategy could have helped there. Please suggest if a GMAT retake will help my case, and what would be good verbal approach for a retake.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:34 pm
Hi GMAT_quest92,

To start, a 710/Q50 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. Your question - in the broader sense - is about AFTER Business School though - so you might not find the exact information that you're looking for from a random post online. That having been said, if you have questions about a specific Company, then you might consider reaching out to representatives of that Company to ask. It's also possible that an Admissions Expert might be able to offer some perspective. There's a forum full of those Experts here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba- ... t-f40.html

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you really studied for just 5 weeks, then you're clearly a strong critical-thinker and could potentially score higher (assuming you put in the proper time and effort to learn the content and Tactics that apply to the Verbal section). Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:43 pm
GMAT_quest92 wrote:Hi, I just gave my first GMAT attempt and scored a 710 (Q50,V35), 6 on IR & 5 on AWA. While this is the average score for my target school, i am reading posts that say, getting into Big 3 strategy consulting requires a score upwards of 720. I prepared for about 4-5 weeks for the test. While maths was easier given my engineering background, balancing accuracy and speed was difficult on the verbal section. I was mostly relying on intuition and felt that a more systematic and GMAT oriented strategy could have helped there. Please suggest if a GMAT retake will help my case, and what would be good verbal approach for a retake.
Here is a post that sums up my advice about whether to retake the exam: https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-advice-t ... tml#810959

You're only 1 point away from perfect on the quant. To get a 720+, you would have to improve your verbal score. If you think that's feasible without way too much effort, give it another shot. If the 710 is the highest that you've achieved so far, then you should probably just apply with that. A Q50 will certainly be impressive to any school or consulting firm. And if English isn't your first language, then a V35 may well be sufficiently impressive.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: GMAT Retake??

by one-clickprep » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:44 pm
I wouldn’t worry about retaking - of course higher the score better it is but at the same time, there are many elements of your application that can be improved or articulated in the right manner to make most impact.

Perhaps start with a quick profile evaluation to see your chances of getting selected in one of the schools of your choice. If you have a good chance, work hard on the essays.

700 is a good GMAT score and your undergrad score is pretty good too.
If you are keen to do a free profile evaluation, ping me...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: GMAT Retake??

by one-clickprep » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:37 am
Worried of when and how to revise to retake your GMAT?
Visit our website www.oneclickprep.com to book a webinar for doubt clarity or review our videos and blogs for the same.
It'll help you since our videos contain free lecture series of GMAT topics.