Need Honest Opinions - 670 on the GMAT !!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Honest Opinions - 670 on the GMAT !!!

by TheMystic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:09 am
Hello,

I gave my 3rd attempt today. The snapshot of the 3 attempts can be seen below :

1. 09-01-2016 - 610 [Q49, V24]
2. 30-04-2016 - 600 [Q47, V26]
3. 09-09-2017 - 670 [Q49, V33]

Following are my last 4 mock scores :

Exam Pack 1 - GMAT Prep 3 - 740 [Q50, V41]
Exam Pack 1 - GMAT Prep 4 - 660 [Q49, V31]
Exam Pack 2 - GMAT Prep 5 - 610 [Q45, V28]
Exam Pack 2 - GMAT Prep 6 - 650 [Q49, V30]

The score of 740 might raise some eyebrows, but the only difference in this mock was that I got 12/13 RC questions right.

When I look at the scores of my previous attempts and the last 4 mocks, I should be pretty content with my latest exam scores. However, I am a bit disappointed as I was targeting above 700. But may be I was expecting too much for the big day.

I have been preparing on and off for the exam for almost 2 years now. Not consistently though, as different events in life kept me swaying away from dedicated preparation. I am an Indian I.T professional and I need your honest opinions on what I can expect from these scores? I'll complete 6 years of work experience in October this year. I am currently at client location (U.K) and will complete 2 years of international work experience in Feb next year. I have received several awards during my work tenure.

I do not have anything extra ordinary to talk here about my extra curricular activities. I am a very optimistic person, but I do not feel like putting more efforts for another attempt. I do not know where this score can take me to, but I feel like missing on a lot more things just because of GMAT prep. Last 3 months have been very hectic for me. I have been working for more than 12 hours and preparing in the remaining time. I have to work on most weekends too, so don't get much time.

Verbal has always been a blocker for me. I think I have pretty decent spoken and written English, but somehow I falter in GMAT. I have improved my SC immensely, but my CR and RC have been pretty stagnant. It could be because I was never an avid reader, I have hardly read any books and do not do much reading. I want to improve my reasoning and reading skills, but not for the exam, but rather just as a skill to possess.

I would have loved to study in the U.K, but the VISA rules are not very friendly. I will like to target Canadian, Australian and some European schools. A major criterion is the work permit and chances of permanent residence. I would not want to go back just after finishing my studies, instead, will like to stay and work for few years.

I have CGPA of 8.23 and TOEFL score of 98. I have scheduled the TOEFL exam in two weeks to better my score and cross 100. Please give your honest opinions and any harsh criticism is more than welcome.

PS : Do not use this post as an exercise for SC :grin: . I am very tired and putting all efforts to write this post and seek your opinions.

Thanks. :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:52 pm
Hi TheMystic,

First off, a 670/Q49 is a strong score (it's wells above the 80th percentile overall), so it could very well be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]