REAL LIFE score of 460:-( WTF

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

REAL LIFE score of 460:-( WTF

by kjone189 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:25 am
Test Day 12/22

Score 460
ir-4
quant-27
verbal-26

So let me be honest I was scoring consistently 460 in my last few practice test but my most recent test I scored 530 so I figured all my practicing was paying off
( I only need a 500 but 550 if I'm feeling fancy LOL)

I studied with the 60 day guide helpful but not my favorite using Gmat PrepNow and GMAC book
I made the most progress when I started doing GMAT / GMAC books problems out the book followed with Magoosh.
Magoosh free tutorials are helpful but I started suing those the last 2 weeks (late in the process)

However I am not sure what I should use I am guessing I might try Magoosh because it seems to be helpful from the free material however I'm debating
I think I just needed more time.

So in testing center
VERY strict palm scan, no cell phones, pocket check,glasses check its intimidating
So I came in feeling ok
AWA-I felt ok
IR I felt ok nerves started kicking in
Quant-Started sweating felt like everything I knew disappeared questions similar to problems from GMAT book (highly recommend)
Ran out of time so I guesses on last 3-4 odd because during practice never had that problem
Verbal
Nerves really had me so I was overwhelmed with RC and could not concentrate for nothing made some guesses on the last 4-5 bad idea once again I ran out of tie
but I wasn't have that issues during my mock questions were similar to GMAT book so the examples arre good form the book

GMAT Prep is the closet accurate test to the real test in my opinion
Very similar

Not sure what to do or how to improve

However I will say the only thing like test day is test day TBH its a unique experience....

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 am
Hi kjone189,

You've now taken the GMAT twice in the last month and scored 460 both times, so you are likely making certain consistent mistakes when dealing with the Exam. Thankfully, with a score goal of 500+, you do not have to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird (so you can quickly 'guess' on those questions and move on). However, you do have to try to minimize the number of little mistakes that you make on the 'gettable' questions.

Your original application plans (from back in April) have clearly changed.
1) When are you planning to apply to Business School now?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kjone189 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:23 pm
I plan to apply to some basic state (public) universities.....No where to crazy just the basic and I plan to apply now.I already have apps just no GMAT score so thats what I been waiting for

but now I' think should I bother or should i just try my luck OR retake it and then apply
however I have scratched 2 schools off my list due to my GMAT dont see my chances of making it in LOL

And I made a error I only took the GMAT one time (error on my behalf fro previous post) this was my first test
I rescheduled my original test date

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:09 am
Hi kjone189,

If you're comfortable with the idea that you can 'dump' a few tough questions on Test Day (and not wast any time trying to answer them), then you should be able to free up some significant time that you can then spend on the 'gettable' questions. As such, you could conceivably retest in 16 days and score 500+. In the meantime, you should review your most recent CAT(s) and take a good look at the questions that you got wrong - how many of them COULD you have actually gotten correct? Those missed opportunities are the areas that you need to work on to pick up those missing points.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]