600 to 710 - Thanks Target Test Prep!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

600 to 710 - Thanks Target Test Prep!

by runtheracegirl » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:44 am
To all those reading this...and daydreaming about crossing the 700 mark....you can do it. Don't give up. Here's a recap of my journey and some things I learned.

I took a practice CAT in August 2015 to get my baseline and scored 600 (Q36/V35). Although it was far from my goal of over 700, I thought it was a good starting point. I knew it would take some studying, but I underestimated how difficult the journey would be.

I purchased a full set of study guides from one of the well-known companies (I won't say which one, but you've heard of them). I had been out of school over a decade and felt like things weren't "clicking" even after going through all of the guides on my own. So, I dropped a ridiculous amount of money in December 2015 on a nine week online course with this same company. Surely, this would do the trick, right? Wrong. I studied 15-20 hours per week during the course with disappointing results.

2/2 - 630 (Q39/V37)
3/19 - 590 (Q39/V33)

I understand that it's normal to experience dips in your scores, especially early on, but to drop below my initial baseline was pretty demoralizing. I was running out of money and motivation. And then I ran across some incredibly positive reviews for Target Test Prep, which honestly seemed too good to be true. But, what the heck, I was desperate. I signed up. And it was much cheaper than the online course, which was nice.

It didn't take long for me to realize why people raved about Target Test Prep. The materials are extremely thorough and include tons of videos to help clarify the concepts. I did the long study plan, although I ran out of time in the last few weeks and didn't complete all of the practice questions and recommended CATS. Here are my CAT scores while using their materials.

6/18 - 650 (Q44/V35)
6/25 - 650 (Q41/V39)
7/9 - 670 (Q44/V38)
7/16 - 650 (Q44/V35)

I wasn't studying verbal at all, just focusing on improving quant. Although my quant score seemed to flatline after the initial bump, I must admit that I was hitting burnout at this stage. I had wasted a lot of time and energy on fruitless studying before I came across Target Test Prep and it began to take a toll. However, with test day approaching, I tried to stay positive and turned it over to the Lord.

On test day, things were going ok until the quant section. The approach I used to track my timing involved some set-up, which I was planning to do in the couple of minutes for the instructions. But, after the proctor kicked off that part of the exam and allowed me to sit back down, I only had 30 seconds. I panicked, decided to forgo the approach completely (mistake) and just get going. It was a mess. I was constantly off pace, guessing on several questions trying to catch up, and then somehow ended up with over 5 minutes left at the end. I never had extra time on practice CATs. I was disappointed and planned to cancel my score after finishing the exam. After the verbal section, I clicked the button and got my score.

7/21- 710 (Q48/V39)!!!

I was beyond shocked. And grateful. It was a God thing.

So, here is the best advice I can give. Sign up for Target Test Prep! I wish I had learned about them sooner. It would have saved me a ton of time, money, and stress. And if they ever develop a verbal platform, sign up for it too. They know what they're doing. However, please know it also involves a lot of hard work and your part. Don't short-cut their study plan, stay positive, and you'll get there.

Also, don't underestimate the power of prayer. I've had a lot of painful "no" answers to prayer the past several years that tested my faith. But, the "no" answers make the "yes" answers sweeter. This journey has taught me much about the love and power of God, with or without a 710. He knows. He cares. And He is with you too!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:410

by diegocml » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:51 pm
Congratulations, runtheracegirl!

From Q36 to Q48, that's awesome.

Specially after all this:
On test day, things were going ok until the quant section
I panicked, decided to forgo the approach completely (mistake) and just get going.
It was a mess. I was constantly off pace, guessing on several questions trying to catch up
ended up with over 5 minutes left at the end
Your verbal score went from V35 to V39. Haven't you studied any verbal at all during that time?

Congratulations once again!
Diego

1st GMAT attemp: 410 (Q18 V27)
2nd GMAT attemp: 490 (Q35 V23)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by runtheracegirl » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:26 pm
Thanks Diego! I studied verbal some early on as part of the online course, but not much thereafter. However, I work full-time and do a ton of reading and writing as part of my job, so that helped.