GMATPrep EP2: One key to predicting a competitor's

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMATPrep EP2 New RC

One key to predicting a competitor's strategies is understanding how much that competitor resembles your company. Within a market, companies that resemble each other tend to pursue similar business strategies-called symmetric competition. Companies that have different assets, resources, capabilities, and positions within a market will likely also have different responses to market conditions-called asymmetric competition.

In the fast-food industry, for example, two players faced the same market trends, resulting from the public's concerns about high-fat diets, but responded in markedly different ways. The dominant player, as the target of consumer backlash, introduced a variety of foods It promoted as healthy. The other, foreseeing this move, saw an opportunity to find market share in the less health-conscious fast-food segment and so introduced high-fat, high-calorie sandwiches supported by aggressive, defiant ads.

Your company can anticipate competitors' actions by using a resource-based view of strategy: the idea that companies protect, extend, build, or acquire resources and capabilities that are valuable, rare, and successfully exploitable. Applying this view in a systematic way helps identify the options competitors will likely consider for any strategic Issue. However, determining which options competitors are likeliest to choose also requires moving beyond resource analysis to understanding the personal perceptions and Incentives of competitors' decision makers.

1)The passage refers to the public's concerns about high-fat diets primarily to

A) provide an example of a type of market trend that affects some companies more than others
B) suggest that these concerns have increased competition in the fast-food industry
C) provide evidence that symmetric competition does not typically exist in the fast-food market
D)help provide an example of how companies within an industry reacted to the same market trend
E)suggest that market trends are sometimes altered by the marketing strategies of the companies reacting to them

[spoiler]OA:D[/spoiler]

2)The primary purpose of the passage is to

A) take a stand on a debate regarding business competition
B) offer recommendations on business strategies to company managers
C) describe the reactions of two companies to a particular market trend
D) analyze a type of business strategy used by companies
E) call into question prevailing beliefs within the marketing industry

[spoiler]OA:B[/spoiler]

3)The passage suggests most strongly that the company mentioned In the highlighted text

A) was less concerned with prevailing market trends than was its dominant competitor
B) was in a position to take over the leading market position from its dominant competitor C) understood which strategy Its dominant competitor was likely to follow
D) received little negative feedback based on concerns about high-fat diets
E) refrained from developing a comprehensive resource-based view of marketing strategy

[spoiler]OA:C[/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

RC

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:32 am

From the passage:
Companies that have different assets, resources, capabilities, and positions within a market will likely also have different responses to market conditions. In the fast-food industry, for example, two players faced the same market trends, resulting from the public's concerns about high-fat diets, but responded in markedly different ways.

Why does author mention the public's concern about high-fat diets?
Because two fast-food players who responded in markedly different ways are an example of the preceding statement in blue: companies that have different assets, resources, capabilities, and positions within a market will likely also have different responses to market conditions.

Only D correctly describes why the author discusses the public's concern about high-fat diets:
to help provide an example of how companies within an industry (the fast-food industry) reacted to the same market trend (the public's concern about high-fat diets).

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:04 am
NandishSS wrote:2)The primary purpose of the passage is to

The correct answer must be supported by EVERY PARAGRAPH.

Paragraph 1: One key to predicting a competitor's strategies is understanding how much that competitor resembles your company.
Paragraph 2: In the fast-food industry, two players faced the same market trends but responded in markedly different ways.
Paragraph 3: Your company can anticipate competitors' actions by using a resource-based view of strategy.

Why does the author discuss in paragraph 1 the key to predicting a competitor's strategies and in paragraph 2 the case of the fast-food industry?
So that in paragraph 3 the author can advise how your company can anticipate competitors' actions.
Only B correctly indicates that the author's goal is to offer ADVICE:
offer recommendations on business strategies to company managers.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm
NandishSS wrote:3)The passage suggests most strongly that the company mentioned In the highlighted text

A) was less concerned with prevailing market trends than was its dominant competitor
B) was in a position to take over the leading market position from its dominant competitor C) understood which strategy Its dominant competitor was likely to follow
D) received little negative feedback based on concerns about high-fat diets
E) refrained from developing a comprehensive resource-based view of marketing strategy
From the passage:
The dominant player, as the target of consumer backlash, introduced a variety of foods it promoted as healthy, The other, foreseeing this move, saw an opportunity to find market share in the less health-conscious fast-food segment and so introduced high-fat, high-calorie sandwiches supported by aggressive, defiant ads.

The dominant player made the following move:
It introduced a variety of foods it promoted as healthy.
According to the phrase in red, the highlighted company in blue was FORESEEING THIS MOVE when it took the opposite approach (introduced high-fat, high-calorie sandwiches).
Thus, option C is supported:
The highlighted company understood which strategy Its dominant competitor was likely to follow.

The correct answer is C.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by NandishSS » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

From the passage:
Companies that have different assets, resources, capabilities, and positions within a market will likely also have different responses to market conditions. In the fast-food industry, for example, two players faced the same market trends, resulting from the public's concerns about high-fat diets, but responded in markedly different ways.

Why does author mention the public's concern about high-fat diets?
Because two fast-food players who responded in markedly different ways are an example of the preceding statement in blue: companies that have different assets, resources, capabilities, and positions within a market will likely also have different responses to market conditions.

Only D correctly describes why the author discusses the public's concern about high-fat diets:
to help provide an example of how companies within an industry (the fast-food industry) reacted to the same market trend (the public's concern about high-fat diets).

The correct answer is D.
HI Ceilidh/Guru

A) provide an example of a type of market trend that affects some companies more than others
B) suggest that these concerns have increased competition in the fast-food industry
C) provide evidence that symmetric competition does not typically exist in the fast-food market
D)help provide an example of how companies within an industry reacted to the same market trend
E)suggest that market trends are sometimes altered by the marketing strategies of the companies reacting to them

Why is E wrong?