OG Two works published in 1984

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

OG Two works published in 1984

by AbeNeedsAnswers » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 pm
Two works published in 1984 demonstrate contrasting approaches to writing the history of United States women. Buel and Buel's biography of Mary Fish (1736-1818) makes little effort to place her story in the context of recent historiography on women. Lebsock, meanwhile, attempts not only to write the history of women in one southern community, but also to redirect two decades of historiographical debate as to whether women gained or lost status in the nineteenth century as compared with the eighteenth century. Although both books offer the reader the opportunity to assess this controversy regarding women's status, only Lebsock's deals with it directly. She examines several different aspects of women's status, helping to refine and resolve the issues. She concludes that while women gained autonomy in some areas, especially in the private sphere, they lost it in many aspects of the economic sphere. More importantly, she shows that the debate itself depends on frame of reference: in many respects, women lost power in relation to men, for example, as certain jobs (delivering babies, supervising schools) were taken over by men. Yet women also gained power in comparison with their previous status, owning a higher proportion of real estate, for example. In contrast, Buel and Buel's biography provides ample raw material for questioning the myth, fostered by some historians, of a colonial golden age in the eighteenth century but does not give the reader much guidance in analyzing the controversy over women's status.

480) The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) examine two sides of a historiographical debate
(B) call into question an author's approach to a historiographical debate
(C) examine one author's approach to a historiographical debate
(D) discuss two authors' works in relationship to a historiographical debate
(E) explain the prevalent perspective on a historiographical debate

481) The author of the passage mentions the supervision of schools primarily in order to
(A) remind readers of the role education played in the cultural changes of the nineteenth century in the United States
(B) suggest an area in which nineteenth-century American women were relatively free to exercise power
(C) provide an example of an occupation for which accurate data about women's participation are difficult to obtain
(D) speculate about which occupations were considered suitable for United States women of the nineteenth century
(E) illustrate how the answers to questions about women's status depend on particular contexts

482) With which of the following characterizations of Lebsock's contribution to the controversy concerning women's status in the nineteenth-century United States would the author of the passage be most likely to agree?
(A) Lebsock has studied women from a formerly neglected region and time period.
(B) Lebsock has demonstrated the importance of frame of reference in answering questions about women's status.
(C) Lebsock has addressed the controversy by using women's current status as a frame of reference.
(D) Lebsock has analyzed statistics about occupations and property that were previously ignored.
(E) Lebsock has applied recent historiographical methods to the biography of a nineteenthcentury woman.

483) According to the passage, Lebsock's work differs from Buel and Buel's work in that Lebsock's work
(A) uses a large number of primary sources
(B) ignores issues of women's legal status
(C) refuses to take a position on women's status in the eighteenth century
(D) addresses larger historiographical issues
(E) fails to provide suffi cient material to support its claims

484) The passage suggests that Lebsock believes that compared to nineteenth-century American women, eighteenth-century American women were
(A) in many respects less powerful in relation to men
(B) more likely to own real estate
(C) generally more economically independent
(D) more independent in conducting their private lives
(E) less likely to work as school superintendents

485) The passage suggests that Buel and Buel's biography of Mary Fish provides evidence for which of the following views of women's history?
(A) Women have lost power in relation to men since the colonial era.
(B) Women of the colonial era were not as likely to be concerned with their status as were women in the nineteenth century.
(C) The colonial era was not as favorable for women as some historians have believed.
(D) Women had more economic autonomy in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century.
(E) Women's occupations were generally more respected in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century.

Q480: D
Q481: E
Q482: B
Q483: D
Q484: C
Q485: D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by NandishSS » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:50 pm
HI GMATGuruNY/David/ ceilidh.erickson

Can you pls explain this question?

3)With which of the following characterizations of Lebsock's contribution to the controversy concerning women's status in the nineteenth-century United States would the author of the passage be most likely to agree?

(B) Lebsock has demonstrated the importance of frame of reference in answering questions about women's status.
(C) Lebsock has addressed the controversy by using women's current status as a frame of reference.
(D) Lebsock has analyzed statistics about occupations and property that were previously ignored.
(E) Lebsock has applied recent historiographical methods to the biography of a nineteenth-century woman.

Thanks
Nandish

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:35 am
NandishSS wrote:HI GMATGuruNY/David/ ceilidh.erickson

Can you pls explain this question?

3)With which of the following characterizations of Lebsock's contribution to the controversy concerning women's status in the nineteenth-century United States would the author of the passage be most likely to agree?

(E) Lebsock has applied recent historiographical methods to the biography of a nineteenth-century woman.

Thanks
Nandish
The correct answer must be supported by a LINE REFERENCE.
In discussing Lebsock, the author states the following:
She concludes that while women gained autonomy in some areas, especially in the private sphere, they lost it in many aspects of the economic sphere. More importantly, she shows that the debate itself depends on frame of reference: in many respects, women lost power in relation to men.
The portion in blue supports B:
Lebsock has demonstrated the importance of frame of reference in answering questions about women's status.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gtbingxiu » Mon May 07, 2018 7:43 am
Hi

Could you please explain this question? As I found the answer back in OG was different from the one you posted. And I could understand neither...

485) The passage suggests that Buel and Buel's biography of Mary Fish provides evidence for which of the following views of women's history?
(B) Women of the colonial era were not as likely to be concerned with their status as were women in the nineteenth century.
(C) The colonial era was not as favorable for women as some historians have believed.
(D) Women had more economic autonomy in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century.
(E) Women's occupations were generally more respected in the colonial era than in the nineteenth century.

Thanks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 09, 2018 4:19 am
gtbingxiu wrote:Hi

Could you please explain this question? As I found the answer back in OG was different from the one you posted. And I could understand neither...

Thanks!
golden age = a period when something was the most successful.

From the passage:
Women also gained power in comparison with their previous status, owning a higher proportion of real estate, for example. In contrast, Buel and Buel's biography provides ample raw material for questioning the myth, fostered by some historians, of a colonial golden age in the eighteenth century but does not give the reader much guidance in analyzing the controversy over women's status.

According to the excerpt above, Buel and Buel provide RAW MATERIAL to dispute a view held by some historians: that the eighteenth century was a COLONIAL GOLDEN AGE for women.
In other words, Buel and Buel show that the colonial era was NOT a period in which women were the most successful -- despite the view of some historians.
This information supports C:
The colonial era was not as favorable for women as some historians have believed.

The correct answer is C.

The OA listed by the OP is incorrect.
The OA to Q485 is not D but C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3