GMAT_Reading Comprehension_Query.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

GMAT_Reading Comprehension_Query.

by Anaira Mitch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:44 am
Hello Team,

I am struggling a lot while working on reading comprehension Just want to know is there any strategy or any way that can be deployed while working on RC??

Please please assist.

P.S. I started getting sleepy as I go along with passage.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:03 am
Anaira Mitch wrote:Hello Team,

I am struggling a lot while working on reading comprehension Just want to know is there any strategy or any way that can be deployed while working on RC??

Please please assist.

When it comes to Reading Comprehension (RC), I don't believe that there's one specific approach that works best for everyone. I always recommend that students spend some time experimenting with different strategies to see which one best suits their memory, reading speed and English proficiency.

Having said that, when reading ANY Reading Comprehension (RC) passage, it's crucial that you engage 100% in the passage. So, rather than approach a new passage with dread ("I don't enjoy reading it at all"), try to feign interest ("Excellent! This passage is about stock market regulations in Peru!"). The better your engagement, the better the results.

As far as a general strategy goes, I suggest that, as you read the passage, you should identify and summarize:
- the theme of each paragraph (4 to 8 words)
- conflicting points of view (4 to 8 words)
- main idea (4 to 8 words)
If you take good notes, you won't have to go back and re-read the passage. More importantly, when you're looking for specific pieces of information to summarize, you will better engage with the passage (which is a HUGE factor in RC success).

If you're interested, we have a free set of videos that cover all sorts of Reading Comprehension strategies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Anaira Mitch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:46 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
Anaira Mitch wrote:Hello Team,

Please please assist.

When it comes to Reading Comprehension (RC), I don't believe that there's one specific approach that works best for everyone. I always recommend that students spend some time experimenting with different strategies to see which one best suits their memory, reading speed and English proficiency.

Having said that, when reading ANY Reading Comprehension (RC) passage, it's crucial that you engage 100% in the passage. So, rather than approach a new passage with dread ("I don't enjoy reading it at all"), try to feign interest ("Excellent! This passage is about stock market regulations in Peru!"). The better your engagement, the better the results.

As far as a general strategy goes, I suggest that, as you read the passage, you should identify and summarize:
- the theme of each paragraph (4 to 8 words)
- conflicting points of view (4 to 8 words)
- main idea (4 to 8 words)
If you take good notes, you won't have to go back and re-read the passage. More importantly, when you're looking for specific pieces of information to summarize, you will better engage with the passage (which is a HUGE factor in RC success).

If you're interested, we have a free set of videos that cover all sorts of Reading Comprehension strategies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent

Thanks Brent it's really helpful.