CR question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

CR question

by jamesk486 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:35 pm
Radio stations with radio data system (RDS) technology broadcast special program information that only radios with an RDS feature can receive. Between 1,994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600. However, since the number of RDS-equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1,996 as in 1994, the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Few if any of the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1,994 broadcast to people with RDS-equipped radios living in areas not previously reached by RDS stations.
(B) In 1,996 most Verdlanders who lived within the listening area of an RDS station already had a radio equipped to receive RDS.
(C) Equipping a radio station with RDS technology does not decrease the station's listening area.
(D) In 1,996 Verdlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could not receive any programming from the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994.
(E) The RDS radio stations in Verdland in 1,996 did not all offer the same type of programming.

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

Re: CR question

by jayhawk2001 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:55 pm
jamesk486 wrote:Radio stations with radio data system (RDS) technology broadcast special program information that only radios with an RDS feature can receive. Between 1,994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600. However, since the number of RDS-equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1,996 as in 1994, the number of Verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Few if any of the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1,994 broadcast to people with RDS-equipped radios living in areas not previously reached by RDS stations.
(B) In 1,996 most Verdlanders who lived within the listening area of an RDS station already had a radio equipped to receive RDS.
(C) Equipping a radio station with RDS technology does not decrease the station's listening area.
(D) In 1,996 Verdlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could not receive any programming from the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994.
(E) The RDS radio stations in Verdland in 1,996 did not all offer the same type of programming.
The number of receivers can increase either due to an increase in the
number of radios or due to increase in coverage area of the radio stations.

A plugs the hole required for "coverage area"

Vote for A.

D is close but is an inference rather than an assumption. All other
choices are out of scope.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jan08 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:41 am
tuf question..hard to explain but IMO the answer is A...

OA please?

by sibbineni » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:22 pm
IMO (A)

OA please.

Suggest me if iam wrong

by sibbineni » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:28 pm
Sorry i forgot to explain the answer

(A) is the one which fills the logical gap between premise and conclusion

It indicates that radio stations began brodasting after the increase of RDS technology, so the verlanders who had already had a radio equipped with RDS technology
started receiving the programs which not previously reached by radio stations

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by andy9923 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:51 pm
hi all,

i read this thread and am still confused about the answer. actually i agree that choice (a) is most relevant to the subject at hand. however, i fail to see that this is an assumption that the author makes in order to draw the conclusion. to me, the number of people receiving special programming should tie primarily with the number of special radios that have been sold. increasing or maintaining the broadcast coverage area really cannot affect that number, unless:

i) each radio serves more people (ie average service density per radio unit has increased)

ii) radios were sold to individuals who live outside of the original broadcast area

these two ideas are quite far-fetched in my opinion. (ii) seems a bit more probable than (i). but since this isn't stated or implied in the question stem, why does the author need to make additional assumptions to bolster his argument? as long as the number of radio receivers hasn't increased, shouldn't that enough to assume the number of people receiving special programming probably hasn't increased as well?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by andy9923 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:54 pm
oh wait a second...i think i just answered my own question. i believe what i listed as (ii) is actually rephrased in choice (a).

sorry to take up everyone's time. don't i feel silly...

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re: CR question

by elegen » Sun May 15, 2022 12:53 am
Hello guys
Do anyone know why the (D) option is wrong.
D can also make sense, since if you negate the option. you can find that even someone who don't have the radio can receive the program, and this negated option can weaken the conclusion.
Is it because the type of program should be the special program rather than any program?