00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test - tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Hence, the herb's high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

In evaluating the argument, it would be most important to determine which of the following?

A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals.
B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities.
C) Whether the herb's high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid
D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil.
E) whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:58 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

OA: B
I am mainly interested in discussing B and E.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:59 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

richachampion wrote:A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying the growth of this herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test - tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Hence, the herb's high histidine production must be the key feature that allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

In evaluating the argument, it would be most important to determine which of the following?

A) Whether the herb can thrive in soil that does not have high concentrations of the toxic metals.
B) Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities.
C) Whether the herb's high level of histidine production is associated with an unusually low level of production of some other amino acid
D) Whether growing the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over time, reduce their concentrations in the soil.
E) whether the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity

The answer could be B. Please confirm.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Alchemist14 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:46 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Deleted

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

B should be correct answer.
Please pay attention to this line:A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants.
So if we get to know that other plants which exhibit the same behavior of thriving in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic also produce "large amounts of histidine," then we are good.

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Premise:
1. A certain herb can grown in mental-rich soil that is toxic
2. Study points out: This herb produces histidine - an amino acid that deactivates these mentals
Conclusion:
It is possible that this amino acid helps the herb thrive in such soil.
How to evaluate the argument?
B. Whether others of the closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities.
If it is a "yes", then it is likely that this feature helps the herb to grown well in such soil
If it is a "no", then some other factor/s may help explain the growth of the herb.
Hope it help!