Don't understand the question

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Don't understand the question

by jaspetrovic » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:02 pm
Hey guys,

I saw this question on one of the web sites that have been provided here as a resource. On the site they say that this is question in the medium difficulty range. It got 3 of 5 stars. But to me it looks more difficult. Mainly, because of the awkward language . This is the question:

At its simplest, proponents of a longer copyright term argue that the
additional potential revenue stream will act as an incentive and encourage
the production of additional creative works.

Which of the following, if true, casts most doubt on the conclusion of this argument?

(A)With the advent of the internet infringement of copyright is likely to increase in future.
(B)Consumers benefit from the management of creative works by copyright owners and their agents, which term extension would facilitate further still.
(C)Many copyright creators make decisions using purely 'rational' criteria such as how much revenue it will generate for them.
(D)Consumers demand and enjoy copyrighted works as much if not more than works in the public domain.
(E) Additional incentive that would be created by a term extension is miniscule when the value of that extension is brought into present dollars.

Does this look awkward to you too, or is it just me (I'm non-native speaker)?

I got it right, tough. The answer is E. I got it right, probably because this is the only answer that has word from the stimulus-incentive.

Can anybody please explain, what the question asks, and why the other answer choices are not right?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:20 am
Argument - Extended copyright term will increase the revenue; this extra revenue will act as incentive and result in increased production of creative works.

A - internet infringement - Irrelevant
B - Benefits to Consumers - Irrelevant
C - strengthens the argument
D - Consumers' enjoyment - Irrelevant
E - has a point which weakens the argument. If the extra amount is miniscule, it cannot act as incentive to create more works.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jaspetrovic » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:52 am
Thanks rajesh_ctm

I appreciate it. Especially the explanations.