Requesting Expert Guidance for GMAT preaparation

This topic has expert replies
User avatar
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 May 2017
Location: Mumbai, India
I took GMAT in Last week of July and got very low score of 430. I want to score 650, so please guide me how to go about GMAT preparation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
GMAT Instructor
Posts: 15422
Joined: 08 Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Thanked: 5254 times
Followed by:1266 members
GMAT Score:770

by [email protected] » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:23 am
Harsh Bhandari wrote:I took GMAT in Last week of July and got very low score of 430. I want to score 650, so please guide me how to go about GMAT preparation.
To achieve a solid GMAT score, you must:
  • 1) Learn the concepts and techniques tested on the GMAT (e.g., circle properties, divisibility rules, past perfect tense, equation-solving, etc.)
    2) Master the various GMAT-specific strategies (e.g., testing the answer choices, rephrasing the target question, identifying subjects and verbs in sentences, etc.)
    3) Understand the many different ways the test-makers can test your knowledge of each concept
    4) Hone your test-taking skills (e.g., endurance, time management, guessing strategies, etc.)
Many students make the mistake of limiting their preparation to item #1 (and perhaps item #2). So, once they fully grasp a concept and successfully answer 1 or 2 related questions, they move on to the next topic. The problem with this strategy is that the test-makers can take any concept, no matter how simple, and create dozens of wildly different questions , each requiring a different approach. So, to achieve a great score, you must answer a lot of practice questions specifically-related to each concept tested on the GMAT.

Given all of this, I recommend a systematic approach, in which you take the time to thoroughly address each topic/concept. So, for each topic/concept, you should:
  • - Learn the underlying concepts (rules, attributes, notation, etc.)
    - Learn GMAT-specific strategies related to that topic
    - Practice dozens of questions all related to that one topic.
    - Don't stop working on that topic until you have mastered it
Then, and only then , move on to the next topic.

To help you fully explore the ins and outs of each topic, you can use Beat the GMAT's question-tagging tool (https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/gmat-math). This will give you access to tons of topic-specific practice questions.

Finally, your study plan should include several full-length practice tests. Keep in mind that the GMAT is a test of your math and verbal skills AND it's a test of your test-taking skills. So, 650-level math/verbal skills, combined with 550-level test-taking skills, will likely result in a score that's closer to 550 than to 650.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Image

A focused approach to GMAT mastery

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
Elite Legendary Member
Posts: 10347
Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Thanked: 2867 times
Followed by:508 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:44 pm
Hi Harsh Bhandari,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied so far?
2) What materials have you used?
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your 430?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image

User avatar
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 May 2017
Location: Mumbai, India

by Harsh Bhandari » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 am
1] I took GMAT in July and haven't started studying yet.
2] I have used MANHATTAN GMAT GUIDES and OG 2016.
3]Quant Score=29 & Verbal Score=20.
4] Planning to GMAT in October.
5] I am planning to apply for Fall 2018 Intake.
6] I am targeting schools like Frank Zarb School of Business, Zicklin School of Business, etc.
[email protected] wrote:Hi Harsh Bhandari,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied so far?
2) What materials have you used?
3) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your 430?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
Elite Legendary Member
Posts: 10347
Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Thanked: 2867 times
Followed by:508 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:15 pm
Hi Harsh Bhandari,

With an October Test Date, you would have between 1.5 and 2.5 months of potential study time. However, raising a 430 to a 650+ would likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. As such, you might have to push back your Test Date. You don't have to make any decisions about that just yet though.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image

User avatar
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 May 2017
Location: Mumbai, India

by Harsh Bhandari » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 pm
I can study for 6 hours each day i.e 42 hours a week.
I need guidance regarding the resources to use for preparing for GMAT.
Previously I used Manhattan guides and OG. So should I continue with the same or get some other Reference Materials.
[email protected]com wrote:Hi Harsh Bhandari,

With an October Test Date, you would have between 1.5 and 2.5 months of potential study time. However, raising a 430 to a 650+ would likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. As such, you might have to push back your Test Date. You don't have to make any decisions about that just yet though.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
Elite Legendary Member
Posts: 10347
Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Thanked: 2867 times
Followed by:508 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 am
Hi Harsh Bhandari,

To start, you do NOT need to study every day (it's okay to take a day "off" each week, since we don't want you to 'burn out' before you retake the GMAT).

Given your score goal, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image