Is doing an MBA in the US worth it?

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is doing an MBA in the US worth it?

by mymbadreamz » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:03 am
I graduated from a top MBA program (one of Cornell, Ross, Duke) in the US a couple of years ago and have been working in the industry for a few years now. I didn't know many things at that time and perhaps my decision to apply to the US would have been very different if I had known what I do know now. Some of the things to consider while applying are

1. Does the school have no cosigner loans?
2. Age range that you fall in
3. Does your industry/target job post-MBA really require an MBA
4. Job prospects after MBA
5. Visa challenges to consider

I've gone through the entire circus, writing GMAT not once, but 5 times to cross the magic 700 and submitted my application in several rounds, with acceptances, waitlists and dings before getting into the school of my dreams. However, I would caution applicants to give this some serious thought before taking the plunge.
Last edited by mymbadreamz on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I blog about marketing, software products, business and personal finance at Bazaar Expert.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
4.6 million students worldwide enrolled to study abroad in 2017. Out of these, 1.1 million were hosted by the United States. Indian students come second to Chinese, with over 196,000 making their way to the nation for further studies. It is safe to say that the US is still THE country of choice for students from India.
When it comes to business and management in the US, over 19% of foreign students opted for it making it the second most chosen field of study after engineering. US Universities can be easily found here https://www.gyandhan.com/usa-university

Why Study MBA in the United States?
These high numbers pose the question - why so many people choose to study MBA in the USA? The answer lies in the following three reasons:

Home to Top MBA Schools: Out of the top 100 business schools in the world, almost 50% of them are in the USA. Just among the top 25 ranked MBAs, 13 are in the country.
Attractive Employment Prospects: the United States is home to some of the best companies in the world, hence, employment prospects are better for those who attain their MBA in the United States than other places
Flexible Academic Programmes: Another reason which makes the US a preferred choice is flexibility of choosing courses of your interest and the interdisciplinary character of US education structure that provides a holistic experience of education
Enhanced Career Profile: The US is the Knowledge Capital of the world. A US university tag is definitely going to give you a comparative advantage over others.
Great Research Environment: According to a report by the National Science Foundation, the total expenditure by the US universities on Research & development in the FY 2016 was 71.83 Billion USD which is the highest in the world. The total R&D spending by the US in 2016 was 511.1 Billion which is 2.744% of GDP (PPP) of the United States. To know more such factors read https://www.gyandhan.com/blogs/mba-cost ... hips-in-us