Profile Evaluation Reqst–Mech Engr@Top Fortune500 Cmpny

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I humbly request the experts to evaluate my profile and suggest the area needing improvement.
I have zeroed down my choice to ISB Hyderabad for Entrepreneurship Development.

Post MBA Goals
Short term: To understand General Management at world's leading management consultancy.
Long term: Opening my own consultancy at my home town, Nagpur, India.
Aiming to appear GMAT: May 2015; (Given the assumption that score would be 730 to 760 realistically.)
INDIAN Origin
X : 85.33%
XII: 85%
B. E. (Mechanical- Autonomous College YCCE, Nagpur. )
CGPA : 7.57 (Above Average)
Total Experience: 3 years as on today; 4yrs 8 months by the time of joining the One Year PGP at ISB.
Highlights of my profile:

1. Currently Employed as Design Engineer in US based Engineering organization (FLUOR) which achieved Rank 1 in Fortune500 List by Fortune magazine this year third time consecutively for our (EPCM) market segment.
2. As there is no cases of promotion as such in Design field up to 5 years of experience after you qualify from GET to Design Engineer; success can be measured by more than 200% rise in remuneration in just two years of span in my case.
3. Highest % increment in my department for financial year 2013. (18%)
4. Overseas deputation to Italy for major technical activities on a Russian Project of Environmental Importance aiming to reduce ~1% of Total worlds SO2 pollution.
5. Dealt with critical equipment like Process Gas Compressors, Instrument Air Compressors, Process Amine Pumps and Fire Water Pumps.
6. Single handedly dealt with many equipment & packages in proposal FEED achieved L2 in the commercial bid
7. Campus Placement in Italian MNC TECHINT E&C as GET- Design Engineer.
8. Performed various Top Managing, Anchoring, Academia-Industry Relationship Executive roles in Extra & Co-curricular activities & events throughout the under-graduation.
9. Lead many National & International level Robotic Competitions with Innovative Designs.
10. Distinction Grade Elementary YOGA trainer.
11. Merit rank 1 in Advanced Diploma In Computer software.
12. Ranked 2nd in Science Exhibition at 10+2 level.
13. Ranked 2nd in School level Badminton tournament.
14. Socially active right from school times, volunteered for various social organizations.
15. Active member of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS: World's largest self financed NGO). Children Education Service in nearby semi urban localities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashtriya_ ... evak_Sangh
16. Continual volunteering FLUOR Company's CSR initiative "FLUOR CARES _ Saksham", working for Children Education.
17. Associated with an NGO working for Rain Water Harvesting Awareness.
18. Adventurous in nature have done lot of treks, rock climbing & rappelling etc.
19. P1-P2 grade Paragliding Pilot & learning next level.
20. Elementary Grade Bamboo Flute Player & continuing learning
21. Poet (Romantic & Inspirational)
22. Have contributed to an article in College Magazine on "Transformation from Student to Professional"
23. Felicitated by local school in our society for my all round personality.

I would like to seriously receive the suggestions to improve my chances to ISB apart from given facts such as Performance in interview & GMAT score.
Specifically what kind extracurricular activities along with my job may help to boost my profile?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:57 am
Hi Nilesh-Vilas,

Thank you for your post!

In regards to potential extracurricular activities, there are several factors you'll want to consider. Ideally, you should highlight activities where you have a long-standing commitment. In addition, you should favor group-oriented activities where you have a leadership role and where you have had a tangible impact. While you can mention college activities, ideally you should favor the activities in which you have maintained an ongoing commitment. Additionally, traditional hobbies/interests are important, but showing that you are a leader outside of the office will support your profile more. As with your work experience, keep an eye toward quantifying details: the size of teams you lead, your impact, etc.

Provided you score well on the GMAT, you should have a competitive academic profile for ISB. Given your role as an engineer, you will want to emphasize your interpersonal and management experience when detailing your career history. Additionally, your international work experience (US-based organization, Italy) should help you stand out. You also have a sound base for your career goals, but you will need to flesh them out more. Finally, you may consider reaching out to current students and alumni in order to further demonstrate your commitment to the program.

If you'd like to discuss your profile or plans further, please reach out to us through [email protected].

Regards,

Eliot
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.