- Introduction to exponents: Learn some definitions and some important properties of exponents
- Exponential growth: Observe how different numbers behave differently when raised to increasingly large exponents
- Squaring numbers ending in 5: Learn an easy technique for mentally squaring numbers ending in 5
- Laws of exponents - part I: Learn the Product Law, Quotient Law, Power of a Power Law, and also learn some common mistakes that students make
- Negative exponents: Learn why the Negative Exponent Law works, and learn a nice rule for raising fractions to negative powers.
- Laws of exponents - part II: Learn the Power of a Product Law, the Power of a Quotient Law and the Combining Powers Law.
- Units digits of large powers: Learn a systematic way to find the units digits of large powers
- Practice finding the units digit of a large power: Find the units digit of 53 to the power of 35
- Introduction to square roots: Take an introductory look at square roots and learn some important properties of square roots
- Other roots: Learn about cube roots, fourth roots and so on, and learn several properties of other roots
- Properties of roots: Learn about products of roots and quotients of roots
- Simplifying roots: Learn how to rewrite roots in simplest terms.
- Operations with roots: Learn how to add, subtract, multiply and divide roots, and learn how to avoid common mistakes
- Fractional exponents: Learn how to evaluate powers with fractional exponents
- Solving equations with exponents: Learn how to solve equations with variables in the exponent
- "Fixing" (rationalizing) the denominator: Learn how to handle fractions with roots in the denominator
Powers and Roots
We invite all community contributors to share resources that are deemed to help students beat the GMAT. We've created individual threads to match the main topics, so please select the best fit for your content carefully.