verbal help

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

verbal help

by poseidon344 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:48 pm
Hi, there
I need advice on how to pump up verbal score. Background verbal was up to 33 on mgmat prep cat 1 and now it is down to 25or 26 cat 4. getting more cr and sc wrong as usual. s/c is my weakest inheirachy, rc then cr. So, can anyone share any details how they raised their verbal to high end 40. My prep score are much higher. og 11 sucess rate in verbal is also 80%. is there a software that merely hits verbal....really surprised by verbal here....right now practice one day quant and one day verbal was doing both everyday since I stopped evryday the scpre tanked. Is the answer more hours on verbal. Using lsat book and the success rate is 80%, but I practice using 75 minutes blog for c/r and r/c from lsat maybe this is too much time alloted for practice....can anyone pls say how they got progessively better in verbal.....a tutor recomendation will work as well...thanks
PLAY HARD AND WORK HARD

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:16 am
Received a PM asking me to respond.

There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to that question, unfortunately. It's different from person to person.

Why did your score drop on that last CAT? What was different compared to your first three? What are your specific strengths and weaknesses in verbal?

Are you struggling with content, technique, timing, or all of the above?

If content, what specifically is giving you the most trouble? (eg, in SC, modifiers and verbs) Include in this category the different types of questions for CR and RC (eg, find an assumption vs. weaken or inference vs. main idea).

On what types of questions or content areas are you struggling with technique or timing? (Technique is knowing how to identify / categorize a particular type of question and knowing what you're expected to do / answer as you move through the problem.)

Have you been studying why the wrong answers are wrong? On any given problem, could you explain to me exactly why each of the four answers is wrong? Could you pick out the most tempting wrong answer and explain why it's so tempting, even though it's wrong? Could you explain why someone might be tempted to eliminate the right answer, even though it's right?

Also give us any other details you have noticed about your own strengths and weaknesses and the kinds of errors that you tend to make repeatedly.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:550

AWA 6; Q44; v28

by mww7786 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:08 pm
Man, exhausted. . .Need assistance with verbal???

Mark
Orlando, Florida
Q 44 V 28 AWA 6 HELP?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: AWA 6; Q44; v28

by aim-wsc » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm
mww7786 wrote:Man, exhausted. . .Need assistance with verbal???

Mark
Orlando, Florida
Dear Mark,
If need any guidance or advices, write in detail & start a new topic.

Also check the earlier posted threads in GMAT strategy you might get the answers without even asking.
Welcome to the forums :)