Am I competitive enough for these schools?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Good Morning.

I am a 31 years old black guy born and raised in Guadeloupe FWI.

So far, I have taken the GMAT twice and my best score was 650 (70% quantitative, 86% verbal, 80% overall). I scored 109 over 120 for the TOEFL.
I have 2 great letters of recommendation from my former and current bosses. I also have 6 years of professionnal experience in Telecom industry and, particularly, 2 years of experience as a manager.
I ranked 98 over 262 when I was student in Euromed Management School (top 15 business schools in France). I guess my GPA is not that good so.
Unfortunately, I was not really involved in many extracurricular activities apart from representing my university for the recruitment of prospective students, training of the basketball team during 1 year, teaching maths to primary schools students and learning Chinese and Spanish.
I'm a good writer, so I can write good essays. For example, I can explain why my GPA was low since I was fully employed when I was a student in order to pay for my studies. I can explain how I sttrugled to achieve my carreer so far.

Do you think I can be competitive for schools like these one?
- Berkeley (YES/NO)
- Columbia (YES/NO)
- Yale (YES/NO)
- Stern (YES/NO)
- UCLA (YES/NO)
- Emory (YES/NO)
- Marshall (YES/NO)
- HEC (YES/NO)
- INSEAD (YES/NO)

Graduation from a MBA in the US is like a dream for me. I would really appreciate your honest answer.

Best regards.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:15 am
Hello,

With the possible exception of Columbia and Berkeley, I believe you could be competitive for the remaining schools (in varying degrees based on competitiveness of program) providing that you:

• Deliver stellar applications that excite the reader about your potential impact and your goals
• Present meaningful, well thought through goals in a way that is both practical and conveys your “vision” for what you want to achieve
• Gives the reader confidence that you can handle the quantitative rigor of the program
• Clarifies what special and unique you would contribute to the program in question

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com