GMAT Retake/Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Retake/Profile Evaluation

by greenym81 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:57 pm
Re-take score: 660 (45Q/35V/6AWA)

Prev. Score: 650 (40Q/40V/6AWA)

Retook GMAT with the goal of improving math. Surprised at the outcome of my verbal score, though. Was scoring consistently above 40 on verbal on the four diagnostics I took in preparation for the re-take.

Will b-schools consider my best scores from each test and combine them, or will they look only at the results of my best overall score (i.e. the 660 test)?

Briefly about my profile:
- 4+ yrs at top operational consulting firm (e.g. accenture, deloitte, booz, cap) in a specialized energy industry group;
- 3.4 GPA Econ/Bus Ad dual undergrad degrees from UC Berkeley;
- good extracurriculars during undergrad, continued involvement for first couple of years afterwards, and different extracurriculars over the past couple of years;
- targeting top-tier part-time MBA program such as UCLA FEMBA, Kellogg part time, or Haas Evening and Weekend program.

Based on this brief amount of profile information, how to you think I fare as a candidate and would you recommend retaking the GMAT to improve my verbal score from the re-take?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:28 pm
Dear greenym81,

Schools only use the GMAT test with the highest total score in your evaluation--they do not take the verbal from one and the quant from another. If you feel you can increase your total score more, it might be worth taking the est for a third time. However, if you are not sure it will go up more than 20 points, your efforts might be better served focusing on your applications. While your GMAT score is important, your essays, recommendations and interview are critical to the decision.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Gmatter@2008 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:07 am
Hi Lisa,

I just want to double check one thing. When you say that schools only use the GMAT test with the highest score, do they see any other scores that you have? I ask because I already took the GMAT once and while I am happy with my score, I want to try and do better. I just want to make sure that there is no downside to taking it again. Thanks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by appmentor-jon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:16 am
Gmatter2008 -- the schools are able to see all your scores...if you are happy with your scores its probably best to just focus on putting together great apps (unless you think you can achieve a significant increase).

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:52 am
Dear Gmatter@2008,

You don't have to send the scores at the time you take the test; you can always send them later after you know how you did. However, schools will see your the current score plus the two previous scores on your official score report. So, if you take the GMAT 3 times and only "send" tests 1 and 3, they will still see test 2 on the report for test 3---but if you only "send" tests 1 and 2, test 3 will not show up on the score report for either of those tests.

There is no downside to taking it again as most candidates take the test at least twice and schools like to see that you attempted to (or did) raise your score.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me