please evaluate my profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

please evaluate my profile

by kakaman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:36 pm
Please evaluate my profile.

23 yrs old, Asian Male

I went to a top 5 ugrad business program, majored in Finance, minored in mathematics. 3.8 GPA

GMAT: 720

2 year work experience at a top boutique investment bank.

No extracurricular activities after college due to time constraints, but a few with leadership positions in college.

I plan to apply to the top 10 business schools, focusing on Finance and Management (I did not take any management courses in college)

Want to go to b-school to learn more management skills and to further my finance knowledge. Plan on going into private equity or joining a large corporation to work in the finance department. Also might consider going into consulting.

What do you think are my chances? I know I'm lacking work experience, but I've spoken to associates from business schools and they say b-schools are filled with bankers and consultants who only had 2 year work experience. However, given the financial crisis, there will probably be tons of ibankers/consultants applying to top b-schools this year. Is it advisable to delay a year with another year of work experience under my belt? Or would it just get progressively harder with more and more people getting cut?

Thanks for your help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:39 am
Dear kakaman,

If you feel you are ready for business school now, then you should apply. However, if you will be promoted or be given greater responsibility with another year at your firm, then it might be advisable to wait as showing that progression will make your profile stronger.

You have a competitive profile for many top MBA programs. As you stated though, the tough part will be distinguishing yourself from the competition. It will be important to make a compelling case and have solid essays, recommendations and interviews to be offered a seat. Likewise, I am a firm believer in applying to at least one safety school, which would be a school outside the top 15 for you.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me