Kaplan's cat's

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Kaplan's cat's

by banona » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:36 am
I have some questions about the Kaplan's cat's
Among many others, I took three of Kaplan's tests and scored 630, 650, 590. my questions are the following :

1-each time I take a test I feel exhausted in the middle of the test ( very early) because of the amount of the concentration required in the quantitative sectioon. Would the GMAT real test look the same if we are a good scorer ( I mean for scores > 680)

2- are Kaplan's tests really cat ones, I mean do they adapt the difficulty, do they also take inton account the number of correct answers in the final scoe.

3- are the scores representative of what I can expect the day of the real test

I hope I had I described well my concerns in this topic and would appreciate you answering my questions;

thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Kaplan's cat's

by beatthegmat » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:39 pm
banona wrote:I have some questions about the Kaplan's cat's
Among many others, I took three of Kaplan's tests and scored 630, 650, 590. my questions are the following :

1-each time I take a test I feel exhausted in the middle of the test ( very early) because of the amount of the concentration required in the quantitative sectioon. Would the GMAT real test look the same if we are a good scorer ( I mean for scores > 680)

2- are Kaplan's tests really cat ones, I mean do they adapt the difficulty, do they also take inton account the number of correct answers in the final scoe.

3- are the scores representative of what I can expect the day of the real test

I hope I had I described well my concerns in this topic and would appreciate you answering my questions;

thank you
Hi banona:

I'd like to take a crack and responding to your questions. By no means am I an authority on Kaplan, but I have had the opportunity to observe a lot of people using this software/tests...

In general, I feel like Kaplan tests are (1) more difficult than what you should actually expect on the real GMAT, and (2) poorly written compared to the real GMAT. I remember feeling pretty exhausted as well when I went through Kaplan practice exams--in my opinion, the real GMAT was easier for me.

To the best of my knowledge, Kaplan practice tests are adaptive. It's hard to see how they adapt sometimes because all the questions seem very tough (partly because they are poorly written).

With regard to your last question--are the scores representative--I've seen a lot of people report that their Kaplan scores were dramatically skewed down from what they ultimately scored on the real GMAT. I've heard a big range, anywhere from 50-100 points skewed down...

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by banona » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:07 pm
Thank you Eric for your very kind attention;

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:00 pm
banona wrote:Thank you Eric for your very kind attention;
You're very welcome. Spread the love!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Gmatters » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:55 am
Hi,
I am anew comer to this GMAt world>plan on take GMAt coaching within next 4 months.Would like a advice.Whether it will be beneficial to GMAT KAPLANS CLassromm coaching.Does it really help

Thanks
Gmatters

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Wrong Post

by RachelAL » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:15 am
I am not affiliated with any GMAT prep program. But I dont think the Manhattan GMAT string is the best place to ask Kaplan related questions. You may be better off posting this information on the main string rather than "Ask Manhattan GMAT". Manhattan GMAT is a Kaplan competitor.
-Rachel

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

Re: Wrong Post

by beatthegmat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:30 am
RachelAL wrote:I am not affiliated with any GMAT prep program. But I dont think the Manhattan GMAT string is the best place to ask Kaplan related questions. You may be better off posting this information on the main string rather than "Ask Manhattan GMAT". Manhattan GMAT is a Kaplan competitor.
Duly noted :)

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

by jayhawk2001 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:48 pm
beatthegmat wrote:
I'd like to take a crack and responding to your questions. By no means am I an authority on Kaplan, but I have had the opportunity to observe a lot of people using this software/tests...

In general, I feel like Kaplan tests are (1) more difficult than what you should actually expect on the real GMAT, and (2) poorly written compared to the real GMAT. I remember feeling pretty exhausted as well when I went through Kaplan practice exams--in my opinion, the real GMAT was easier for me.

To the best of my knowledge, Kaplan practice tests are adaptive. It's hard to see how they adapt sometimes because all the questions seem very tough (partly because they are poorly written).

With regard to your last question--are the scores representative--I've seen a lot of people report that their Kaplan scores were dramatically skewed down from what they ultimately scored on the real GMAT. I've heard a big range, anywhere from 50-100 points skewed down...

Best of luck!
Boy, am I glad to see this thread ! I took the Kaplan CAT this morning
and was disappointed to see a 640 (Q: 50, V:35).

Tried to keep my concentration in the Math section and for the first
half of verbal but completely blew it in the second half of verbal.

The reading comprehension passages were "unreadable" to put it
mildly and I spent a lot of time trying to just skim the passage.
And some of the questions on the verbal were just difficult to
understand. I must say I haven't seen questions of this form on
any of the OG books or GMATPrep.

One good lesson learned though -- don't spend too much time on one
question if you can't go anywhere in the first minute :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:00 pm
jayhawk2001 wrote:
beatthegmat wrote:

Best of luck!
Boy, am I glad to see this thread ! I took the Kaplan CAT this morning
and was disappointed to see a 640 (Q: 50, V:35).

Tried to keep my concentration in the Math section and for the first
half of verbal but completely blew it in the second half of verbal.

The reading comprehension passages were "unreadable" to put it
mildly and I spent a lot of time trying to just skim the passage.
And some of the questions on the verbal were just difficult to
understand. I must say I haven't seen questions of this form on
any of the OG books or GMATPrep.

One good lesson learned though -- don't spend too much time on one
question if you can't go anywhere in the first minute :-)
Great work--a 640 on a Kaplan test is REALLY impressive. I never got a Kaplan practice score that high during my own prep, and I was still able to wing a 700+ on the real deal.

Best of luck!