I Beat The GMAT - 740 (Q49 V41)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

I Beat The GMAT - 740 (Q49 V41)

by bharathaitha » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:28 pm
Hi All,

I gave GMAT last saturday (Nov 14th) and overwhelmed to get 740 (Q49 V41). I thank BTG forum a lot because it helped me immensely in every aspect. I would say I Beat The GMAT since I was targetting 720.

All the questions answered by GMAT instructors were very helpful. Especially the stories from "I Beat The GMAT" were really inspiring. So I thought I would pen mine too.

I am an indian male, working in bangalore, for an MNC for about 2.5 years. I decided to give GMAT and started preparing on my own from August.

Here is the list of books I have referred to:

1. KAPLAN 800 - very good one
2. Princeton Review - very good to start with
3. GMAT OG 11th edition - as everybody else says - the bible
4. Manhattan SC guide - fantastic

Here are my practise test scores:

GMATPrep1 - September - 660
GMATPrep2 - September - 620
PR1 - October - 680
GMATPrep1 (retake) - October - 760
KAPLAN 1 - October - 610
KAPLAN 2 - October - 620
PR2 - November - 730
PR4 - November - 700
GMATPrep2 (retake) - final test, two days before the exam - 770

Some points worth reading:

--> Don't get bogged down by lengthy and complex quant problems. I know it feels good to solve tough questions but dont bother too much to nail them. I didn't get even a single question from probability and permutations and combinations. You just need to get basics right.

--> Never forget to attempt KAPLAN tests. They are certainly not indicative of your true abilities but they really test your endurance. After giving KAPLAN tests I observed my timing and endurance getting a lot better.

--> Lot of people say that PR is way too simple and its just good to start off. I believe this book has some great questions and i found it very helpful.

--> Don't loose your heart at any point of time in the exam. I screwed up my AWA argument essay but made sure that it didn't affect me in later sections.

--> As everybody says, GMATPrep is very close to the real test. Quant, CR and RC were exactly at the same level as that of GMATPrep. Sentence Correction was quite difficult though I nailed it well.

I am very happy to be in the league of 740's.

Thanks for taking time to read through and all the best for future test takers.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by iamcste » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:37 am
Congrats and well done!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bharathaitha » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:06 am
Thanks iamcste