Schools' interpretation of multiple GMAT scores?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
When a school says they'll take your overall highest score, I'm assuming it would be your highest score in one test session. Do schools ever combine your highest verbal and highest Quant. from like two different tests, to give you an overall highest score? It wouldn't make sense for this to happen because of the scoring matrix, but I remember some schools would take your highest score in each section of the SAT and combine them for an overall high score.

I took the GMAT on Saturday and got a terrible 540. However, I got a 6.0 on the AWA. I also scored in the 66 percentile for Verbal, which I heard is weighted more heavily. I know I just did terrible in the Quant. (30%) which was most likely a fluke of sorts. I plan on taking it again, but in the chance that I don't get a 6.0 on the AWA or do worse on Verbal, will schools ever look at my past test scores for any indication of my success?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:28 am
Dub -
Yeah, schools will only look at your overall score. If you are unhappy with your score, I would strongly recommend retaking the test. Curious, did you do any prep before taking the exam?

Also, AdComs do not put much (if any) weight on your AWA score. As long as you score above a certain level (I believe its somewhere around 3.5/4), you 'pass' their written requirements.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jarome101 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:30 pm
This is why you need to do your own research, this consultant is completely inaccurate, Dartmouth looks @ the highest combined and Yale will take it into consideration. I was misinformed by these boards as well.