Reading Comprehension > Tone

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Reading Comprehension > Tone

by chet steadman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:47 pm
Hi, I've done some practicing and am now pretty comfortable in the verbal space. My last verbal score was 97th percentile with a fairly even split across the three question types.

One thing that I have noticed however, is that I simply cannot get the "tone" questions right. 0 for 3 in four exams isn't a huge sample size, but I was definitely lost all three times. I can typically narrow these down to two or three descriptors, but beyond that the answers just seem arbitrary.

These questions don't come up often enough for me to get accustomed. Is there any book/q-bank/etc. that might help me in my final days of preparation?

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by arorag » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:15 pm
For tone, always look gor the kind of adjectives used by authors. This helps a lot.
HTH

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by Carloblacksun » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:28 am
I know exactly what you mean...in general I must say that on the OGs the possibilities are quite different among each others, but on some material (CAT PREP), I found question where the alternatives were "neutral", "objective", "factual" and "analytical" and I wanted to spit in the face of the person who created this question...