REGARDING HBS 2+2

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

REGARDING HBS 2+2

by nikhil007 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:29 am
hello ,
i will be applying HBS 2+2 this summer. i am yet to give GMAT.
MY EXTRA CIRICULUM is good. ONE YEAR OF WORK EXPERIENCE AS I TOOK
DROP FOR ONE YEAR DURING MY UG. but only one factor that holds me back is low GPA.
DO YOU THINK HBS 2+2 IS WORTH TRYING?
WHAT ARE CHANCES IF I SCORE EXCELLENT IN GMAT?
CAN A GOOD GMAT SCORE HIDE MY BAD GPA ?
PLEASE HELP ME. I AM IN GREAT CONFUSION WHETHER TO APPLY OR NOT?
YOUR HELP WOULD BE IMMENSELY APPRECIATED
WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY

NIKHIL
8)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:08 am
Dear Nikhil007,

Thanks for your note.

As you know, the standards of admission for HBS 2+2 are very high. In fact, when Clear Admit spoke with Dee Leopold (HBS's Director of Admissions) about the program, she stressed that the bar for 2+2 applicants would be set very high on the academics front. This makes sense, given that there will be less for admissions officers to go on in terms of work experience.

With this in mind, it will likely be difficult to gain admission to the program with a poor GPA. Of course, I'd need to know a lot more about your case in particular to truly assess. For example, if you failed your first year, then took time off (working for a year) and have been a straight-A student ever since, you might be able to make a case (esp. if your GMAT result is stellar). It would also be helpful to know where you are attending undergrad and exactly how poor your GPA is. For example, the HBS adcom may view a 68% GPA from one of the IITs in a different light than they view similar marks from a regional engineering college in India.

Whether you ultimately target 2+2 or not, my advice is as follows:

1) Work incredibly hard for the rest of your college career to salvage what you can with your GPA.

2) Take the GMAT sometime soon (while your mind is still fresh - and in academic mode) and aim to score as highly as possible (730+ should be the goal).

Taking both of these steps will not only help you with 2+2, but will also be of use if you end up applying to MBA programs after working for a couple of years.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nikhil007 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:02 am
thanx for reply Graham,
yes i am from a regional engineering college YCCE India.
my GPA IS 65.87%
AND I QUIET CONFIDENT ABOUT SCORING 730+ IN GMAT
I AM REALLY PREPARING HARD FOR THE TOEFL .

I HAVE FEW QUESTIONS
1-I KNOW MY GPA IS POOR, BUT WHAT THINGS I SHOULD DO TO STAND OUT FROM OTHERS? ( SIX SIGMA GREEN BELT, GERMAN LANGUAGE)
2- AFTER DOING ALL THIS STUFF WHETHER I SHOULD APPLY OR U FRANKLY TELL ME ? :oops: