Manhattan GMAT 7 study books: question

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi,

I have got a question about the MHTTan GMAT books. I have studied the SC book in combination with the OG11 and seems good.

My question is: by studying all the 7 booklets incombination with the OG11 + verbal + quant books should anyone smart enough be able to increase scores? I mean, I have bought lots of useless guides while I believe Manhattan + the OG11 are the best combination to study. I ask you this because I didnt study before for the GMAT in the verbal section and I got a horrible 17 scaled score....in 2 months will I be able to increase this section logically working hard?

Best regards,

LUK :wink:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 am
Hi lukacsdepereny,

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to your inquiry, as different students need different guidance on the GMAT. Before I provide some specific advice going forward, however, I just wanted to address one misconception in your post.

Manhattan GMAT currently offers 8 Strategy Guides, not 7. If you have the old guides, then you might have the guide that combines Critical Reading & Reading Comprehension into one. Now, these books have been split up into two separate guides (check the out at our store). If you need help on the verbal section, it would be particularly worthwhile to pick up these new guides since they really do provide students with a clearer idea of these sections.

So, in terms of studying going forward, the 17 subscore in the verbal section tells me that going with a self-study option may not entirely work out. You seem to have gaps in your verbal foundation, and you might require guidance from an Instructor. I would take the next week or so to intensively review the Sentence Correction book and test yourself to see if you genuinely improve in this area. If not, then it would be worth it to look into one of our Prep classes. Granted, hard work generally does pay off, but if you want to significantly improve your score in the next two months, you would most likely need help from someone who has teaching experience and can convey verbal ideas in a clear and concise manner.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

GMAT Score:760

by praneeth » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:52 am
michael.dinerstein wrote:Hi lukacsdepereny,

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to your inquiry, as different students need different guidance on the GMAT. Before I provide some specific advice going forward, however, I just wanted to address one misconception in your post.

Manhattan GMAT currently offers 8 Strategy Guides, not 7. If you have the old guides, then you might have the guide that combines Critical Reading & Reading Comprehension into one. Now, these books have been split up into two separate guides (check the out at our store). If you need help on the verbal section, it would be particularly worthwhile to pick up these new guides since they really do provide students with a clearer idea of these sections.

So, in terms of studying going forward, the 17 subscore in the verbal section tells me that going with a self-study option may not entirely work out. You seem to have gaps in your verbal foundation, and you might require guidance from an Instructor. I would take the next week or so to intensively review the Sentence Correction book and test yourself to see if you genuinely improve in this area. If not, then it would be worth it to look into one of our Prep classes. Granted, hard work generally does pay off, but if you want to significantly improve your score in the next two months, you would most likely need help from someone who has teaching experience and can convey verbal ideas in a clear and concise manner.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best,
Michael,

How much have the Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension guides changed since the '07 version to the current 3rd edition? Would you say it's enough change to warrant purchase of the new version if you have the second edition of these two?

Thanks,

-Praneeth

by michael.dinerstein » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:59 pm
Hi Praneeth,

Well, we have released now three versions of our Strategy Guides

2005 Edition (Total of 7 Guides)

2007 Edition (Total of 8 Guides - Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension changed significantly)

Third Edition (Total of 8 Guides - All books changed significantly)

If you're just beginning, then yes, the book swap is great because you'll learn off a highly tweaked curriculum that is more up to date. If, however, you have been studying for a while and are set to take the GMAT soon, then you should stick with the old guides and only look into the new ones if your attempt does not go well.

ManhattanGMAT is organizing a book swap for students who have purchased new 2007 Editions of our guides between the dates of April 25, 2008 and October 25, 2008. If this is the case, then please e-mail me at [email protected] to make arrangements for the swap.

Good luck studying!

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

by praneeth » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:13 pm
michael.dinerstein wrote:Hi Praneeth,

Well, we have released now three versions of our Strategy Guides

2005 Edition (Total of 7 Guides)

2007 Edition (Total of 8 Guides - Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension changed significantly)

Third Edition (Total of 8 Guides - All books changed significantly)

If you're just beginning, then yes, the book swap is great because you'll learn off a highly tweaked curriculum that is more up to date. If, however, you have been studying for a while and are set to take the GMAT soon, then you should stick with the old guides and only look into the new ones if your attempt does not go well.

ManhattanGMAT is organizing a book swap for students who have purchased new 2007 Editions of our guides between the dates of April 25, 2008 and October 25, 2008. If this is the case, then please e-mail me at [email protected] to make arrangements for the swap.

Good luck studying!

Best,
Thanks Michael. I took the MGMAT course in 2005, never took the actual exam and have been studying from my old books ('05 editions). I will be taking the exam on the 11th (November) but was hoping to buy the new editions and read through for any changes (I've already done all the OG problems assigned).

Unfortunately I have not been able to find the books at my favorite online retailer (Amazon) or at B&N. Even the older (2007) editions are now completely out of stock it seems.

Regards,

Praneeth

by michael.dinerstein » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:52 pm
Hi praneeth,

We apologize for the inconvenience. However, it might be worth it to buy the books directly from our online store. This way, you'll at least be able to purchase copies of the new guides.

Does this work?

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

by praneeth » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:40 pm
michael.dinerstein wrote:Hi praneeth,

We apologize for the inconvenience. However, it might be worth it to buy the books directly from our online store. This way, you'll at least be able to purchase copies of the new guides.

Does this work?

Best,
Michael,

Sorry about the repeated questions on a similar topic. I have now received my new books. Is there a benefit to registering online again with these new books vs. the online access that I have (reinstated from when I did the class in 2005)? i.e. do these books give access to any materials that are different such as tests, tools etc?

Thank you.

Regards,

Praneeth

by michael.dinerstein » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:12 am
Hi praneeth,

Nope - the online content is the same. The only thing that has changed is the content in each of our guides.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

by praneeth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:13 am
michael.dinerstein wrote:Hi praneeth,

Nope - the online content is the same. The only thing that has changed is the content in each of our guides.

Best,
Great. Thank you!