OG 10 Math VS OG 11 Math

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

OG 10 Math VS OG 11 Math

by HW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:58 am
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a substantial difference in the math difficulty between the 10th and 11th edition? The reason I ask is the math problems in the GMAt prep seemed much more diificult than the 10th edition. Someone told me this may be beacuse I have been studying with the 10th edition.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

OG 10th vs OG 11th

by Math_guru » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:21 am
Lot of problems in the 11th ed are from 10th ed; don't know specifically the percentages of which areas of GMAT overlaps in the two editions. There are new problems in 11th, some of which are more challenging then the 10th ed problems. I know some people have mentioned that 10th ed is the better book to practise with as the problems in it are in close proximity to the actual GMAT problem difficulty level. I prefer to use the 11th ed as then I am better prepared relative to 10th ed.
Hope that helps !
Good Luck !

by HW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:50 pm
So I shouldn't have to worry if I have been studying form the 10th,right?

Which GMAT book to use? 10th vs 11th

by Math_guru » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:17 pm
The answer is not a simple one to this question. As it depends on how you are at problem solving for GMAT, how strong are your fundamentals in the topics covered in GMAT, how well are you versed with strategies to solve multiple choice questions, what score are you trying to achieve, etc.In GMAT on average you have to be able to solve a question in less than 1 minute (other than AWA). You are your best judge in this case.

Most candidates preparing for GMAT use more than one guide book. Let me put it this way, if you are using 10th ed you may not have to go to 11th ed but I would recommend at the least to solve problems from GMAT prep books from Princeton Review (Cracking the GMAT) and/ or Kaplan (GMAT 800) and doing some GMAT computer based mock tests.

I referred to https://beatthegmat.blocked/ where the author has given a detailed descriptive to his preparation and how he scored 700+.

There is a lot of information out there, don't get overwhelmed by it just read enough to help you make the decision which books to use in addition to the 10th ed OG.

Hope that helps.
Good Luck !

by HW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:10 pm
Thanks for your help Math Guru(I wish I was a Math guru).

I have studied from the 10th edition and the Princeton review. My real problem lies in properties of numbers, a topic not really covered in either book. All I need is a 600 on the GMAT, something that I have been getting on the gmat prep tests. However, my scores have been right around 600, not significantly higher which is why I feel a little nervous about my gmat test which is this Saturday. Do you think I should postpone it and maybe get another book that deals with properties of numbers?

Am I ready for GMAT?

by Math_guru » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:25 pm
I am sure you are a "Math Guru" too :)

I googled and found some links for ya; check them out if time permits.

This link is for GMAT prep - once on this page on the right side there are topics for reading.

https://www.prepfortests.com/gmat/tutori ... properties

More theoritical from college point of view and not GMAT may give you some insight into some important fundamentals.

https://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/ ... operty.htm

I would start with the 1st link as its geared towards GMAT.

Ultimately, if you know that you are not ready for the D-day this weekend then it would be wise to postpone the date by couple weeks and prepare better. It just costs $40 more or so rather re-taking the test again after a few weeks and paying the full registration fee. Also, you would not feel bad in case during the exam you would realize you could have prepared better if you had more time. I have met a lot of students at HBS and Wharton (the only schools I have visited so far) and they said to ace the GMAT the very first time!

Hope that helps!
Good Luck!

by HW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:03 pm
Thanks for the links, the 1st one was EXACTLY what I needed!!

I was looking into rescheduling, but I found this on mba.com. It says you would have to pay the entire registration amount if you reschedule within 7 days of your exam.

Rescheduling Fee

There is a US$50 fee to reschedule the date, time, or location of a GMAT® exam appointment if you reschedule your appointment at least seven full calendar days between the date and time you reschedule and the date and time of your original appointment. If you reschedule within seven full calendar days of your appointment date and time, you will be charged the full registration amount. The rescheduling fee is subject to change without notice.