New Official AWA Automated Grading Tool!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

New Official AWA Automated Grading Tool!

by praneeth » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:56 pm
Dear mba.com registrant:

Are you prepared for the Analytical Writing Assessment part of the GMAT(R) exam? We can help!

Try our brand new GMAT Write(TM) tool - a web-based, essay-writing practice instrument developed by Vantage Learning in partnership with the Graduate Management Admission Council(R) (the creators of the GMAT exam).

Using past, official GMAT essay questions not available anywhere else, this online study tool gives you immediate insight on your writing strengths and weaknesses.

When you complete a GMAT Write essay, you will receive a score in real time with the same automated essay-scoring engine used by the official GMAT exam and feedback on how well you-

- Identified and analyzed significant flaws in the argument.
- Supported your critique with relevant reasons and/or examples.
- Developed a clearly organized and coherent response.
- Demonstrated control of language, including diction, syntax, and conventions of standard written English.

Each practice essay will be scored in real time with the same automated essay-scoring engine used by the official GMAT exam.

Subscribe today to get started or to learn about the GMAT Write(TM) tool, go to https://www.mba.com/gmatwrite !

Best wishes for your success,

The mba.com team

by sumidi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:02 pm
I thought that the essays were hand-marked by GMAT and that was the reason why the assessment of the essays took up to 10 days. I did not know that they used an automated tool to assess our essays.

Hmmm.... :?:

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by praneeth » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:31 pm
sumidi wrote:I thought that the essays were hand-marked by GMAT and that was the reason why the assessment of the essays took up to 10 days. I did not know that they used an automated tool to assess our essays.

Hmmm.... :?:
They do both, automated tool plus three other human scorers I believe.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:45 pm
Essays are graded by a computer and one human grader - the scores of the two are averaged.

If those scores differ by more than one point (which only happens a tiny percentage of the time), a third human grader is brought in to resolve the discrepancy.

Also, I believe that a different human reads your argument and issue essays.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,
I have purchased and practiced with the GMAT Write1 and Write2 practice essays with Vantage. My question is can I do more practice with the e-Rater or will I be getting the SAME essays again?

THanks,
My exam is on Jan 3 so a reply today or tomorrow will be appreciated.