690 [Q 48 V 36] - Retake or Not?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

690 [Q 48 V 36] - Retake or Not?

by iafmaverick » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:25 am
Hi Guys,

I took the GMAT last Sat and scored a 690.

Being an engineer, Math was pretty simple as a whole, though I got some pretty difficult questions on the actual test. I ended up in time trouble and had to rush through my last 5 questions, where I can distinctly remember making mistakes, which I feel has lowered my score by atleast 20 points.

Im looking for schools in the general mgmt/entrepreneurship specialization with a reasonable amount of aid and am comfortably placed for some of the programs that are lower ranked, but have a strong program.

However for some top 20 schools that have an average GMAT of around 700-710 (Haas, Fuqua et al), I feel my GMAT does no favours for my application as a whole (which is quite strong with international workex, extra currics and essays which will reflect my goals very clearly.) Im not able to decide whether I should re-take the GMAT to remove any chances of it affecting my app or go with my score (since my overall profile is good.) Im applying for Fall 2010 and have the time to prep and give it again.

Im confident that I am a 720-750 range candidate and with 690 as a base score, I wont be going below that.

Appreciate it if someone can guide me.
Do your best without expectation!

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:16 am
Well you will have no problem with 690! But if you think you can score 700+ next time..GO FOR IT! You still have 2 months before the R2 deadlines!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by iafmaverick » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:02 am
Thanks logitech!
Do your best without expectation!