TOP schools no full time work exp.

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

TOP schools no full time work exp.

by ricaototti » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:53 am
Hi,

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I would like to know 1)my real chances, 2) how to best market myself to Full Time MBA in TOP schools. HBS, , Columbia,MIT, NYU, Stanford,Chicago,Berkeley.
P.S.: I will apply to Wharton Larden

About me:

I am a truly international young man. I have two passports, Brazilian and Italian. I fluently speak 4 languages and currently I am taking an intensive French course in Paris.

My GMAT score 730 (taken on 23/10/2008).

GPA 3.93.I have a B.S. in Business Management (Summa Cum Lade); from Fairleigh Dickinson University, which was ranked #7 in the U.S. in Entrepeneurship by Princeton Review.

Full soccer scolarship during undergraduate years and many extracurricular activities such as president of the chess club.

Now the weak area,

I dont have full time work experience. But I have had 4 internships in three different countries. In detail:
Jan 08 to April 08
I worked in a hospital in Manhattan as the weekend supervisor of around 30 people who did cleaning services.

Nov 05 to Nov 07
Self Employed in a financial services company in Paramus, New Jersey

Summer 2007
Shadowing of Production Director in a small company in Brazil Summer 2006
Sales Administration in an small Argentinian firm.

Who should I ask for my reccomendation letters?
Do I have a real chance in TOP schools?
Any advices on how to market myself the best are welcome.
Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 pm
Dear ricaototti,

In your case, it is critical for you to present a solid rationale for why you want to enter business school now versus working a few years. You will also need to demonstrate a good understanding of what business school is, your realistic expectations in your career search, and the maturity to handle working with experienced classmates. You appear to have the academic foundation (high GPA/GMAT) and some interesting experiences you can write about, but how you present yourself is key. In terms of recommenders, it is best to get at least one former supervisor from your work experiences. The other can either be another supervisor or perhaps your soccer coach--but it needs to be someone who knows you well and can speak to your leadership potential and teamwork ability.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ricaototti » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:49 am
Thank you for your answer, but one little things was not clear to me.

What, in your opinion, are my real chances of getting in a TOP school?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:47 pm
It is impossible to give you a number or odds on your chances without seeing your entire application as well as the rest of the applicant pool. I can only comment on how competitive I think the limited information is you provide. As I stated earlier, you have the academic foundation but it will be important for you to effectively convey why you should attend business school now versus in 2-3 years in order to have a shot.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me