Quant Help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Quant Help

by Brett B » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:58 am
Can anyone recommend specific materials to help boost my Quant scores? Right now I am in the 35-40 range, and want to get to 45+. I have done all questions in OG 11 at least twice, and need something new/better.

Is there a book anyone can recommend? What about GMAT focus?

Thanks in advance.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:03 pm
Are you sure you've truly DONE the problems? Remember that studying is not simply running through, doing the problems, checking the answers, and moving on. For every problem, you should be able to:

Explain how to do it in at least two ways,
Recognize the problem type you're dealing with,
Create a similar problem with slightly different facts and/or numbers
Get some sort of "takeaway" lesson that can be applied to other problems
Explain the problem to someone who has never heard of the GMAT before
Solve it again tomorrow in under a minute

It's through this analysis that you will learn more and get into the high 40s. Personally, I only studied from the OG and truly believe that if you understand every problem in there, you'll get an amazing math score.

Also, have you purchased the supplements to the OG? That will give you a few hundred more questions.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by Brett B » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:21 pm
thanks I appreciate the feedback. I suppose I haven't been analyzing them in the manner that you suggested. I need to see new problems though, as I remember the answers to questions that I've already done. I don't have the math supplement, so I'll pick it up.

GMAT Instructor

by VP_Jim » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:31 pm
It's perfectly okay if you already know the answers. Learning takes place when you try to figure out new creative/faster/easier ways to get those answers that you can then apply to other similar problems. If I were you, I'd keep working out of the orange OG until you are truly confident you can solve each and every problem in the book in the most efficient manner (FYI, this took me about 6 weeks at 20 hrs./week).

But yes, good idea getting the supplements, too.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by LifetimesofSC » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:42 pm
Nice feedback.

Any suggestions with Verbal? (all sections)

Good luck with your session in Portland, the city close to Clackamus.

SC

GMAT Instructor

by VP_Jim » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:23 pm
For verbal, you aren't truly "done" with studying a problem until you understand why every right answer is right and every wrong answer is wrong, and that you could articulate your reasons to someone else if you had to. Most of the advice above applies - you'll improve through careful analysis, not through doing tons of problems at lightning speed.

by agraju84 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:10 am
I enjoyed reading your answers VP_JIM, will try to do the same and encourage my friend to follow :) Thanks man.