Seeking help on profile - abhi84

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Seeking help on profile - abhi84

by abhi84 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:22 pm
Hi,

Just back from the GMAT test center.... disappointed to say the least. My scores read GMAT 700 (90th Percentile Q49 V37). Have been preparing really well over the past 3 months targetting a 740+ score to break into the league of the good b-schools as well as to open up avenues for a decent scholarship. Considering the nature of cut-throat competition expected this year, really feel apprehensive of my chances with such a score!

To throw some light on my profile, I am working for a well renowned Indian IT company for the last three years, with the last one year at an international customer location in UK. Have a decent (not extraordinary) extra-curricular exposure at undergraduate college level and a GPA in the range 3.0-3.5 in Computer Engineering. I took TOEFL last month and scored a 110 there.

Assuming that I can present a strong case of 'quality' work experience and work on my application by doing rigorous research on the schools of my choice (UNC, CMU, Indiana, Texas) in the next one month before I hit the deadlines for the second rounds in these schools, do you suggest I still look at a reattempt at GMAT to improve my scores? Is it that scoring 720 or 730 will make a world of difference to my profile as compared to how it stands now? I am fairly confident of improving my scores on a reattempt.

~abhi84.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:57 pm
Dear abhi84,

You are right that this year will be ultra-competitive, especially for international students. I'm not sure 10-20 points will result in a different decision, but 30+ points might make a difference. So, you might consider taking it again in late Nov/early Dec if you think you can increase your score to 730 or more. You definitely don't want to sacrifice your applications at the expense of GMAT prep, however. Thus you must determine what you have time for and the best course of action. I would put applications a little higher than retaking the GMAT at this point.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by abhi84 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:59 pm
Thanks for your valuable advice Lisa.

I attended the World MBA Fair at London on 25th Oct, Saturday. There I met representatives from the schools of my choice. While I got a pretty good insight into each of these schools by speaking to a senior member of their Admission Committee, I also got a chance to pose this question to them. While the likes of Thunderbird, Smith, Marshall felt that 700 is a decent enough score to apply with and that I should concentrate on the other aspects of the application now, the others esp. UNC & Texas were of the opinion that 700 is not good enough to be in the reckoning for a scholarship/fellowship. They were particularly critical of the fact that the good management consulting firms (the industry I am aiming for post-MBA) look for a high GMAT score in the candidates who they choose from.

~abhi84