Retake advice please??

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Retake advice please??

by Gmatted » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:02 am
Hi,

I've got four years of hospitality experience in mangement roles and would now like to apply for the MMH program at Cornell Nanyang University. I've secured a GMAT score of 590 and am disappointed with the same. Is there any hope with this score?

Also, if I choose to take the test again I will not be allowed to do so till 31 days of taking my first attempt. This would mean taking the test one day before the admission deadline!!!! Is there any way I can appeal to GMAC and ask for an exception to be made??

Please help!!!

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:24 am
Dear Gmatted,

GMAC will not make an exception on the test date. I think it will still work for you to take the test the day before the deadline as you will have your unofficial score report. Just be sure to send the scores at the time you take the exam. Most schools ask you to self report in the online application and will then compare that to the official score report in the event you are admitted. Since they know some folks take the test right up until the deadline, they know the self-reported numbers are sometimes off the unofficial score report, and as such, do not require you to input the AWA. If the application does require the AWA, then you might still take the exam but submit your application with your current score. Most schools will allow you to update parts of your application, including your GMAT score, as long as you have not already received your decision.

For the best course of action, I would suggest you contact the school directly about taking the GMAT the day before the deadline and how they suggest you proceed (i.e., report the unofficial results or update the scores at a later date).

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Gmatted » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:42 pm
Thanks Lisa,

I guess that is what I'll go ahead with.. Also, from your expereince, do you see a score of 590 worth putting forward for admission in the MMH Course at Cornell Nanyang?

Regards,
GMatted