GMAT on 20th Target 670 + .. pls help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello ..
Am appearing for 20th OCT.. My score ranges from 580 - 670
Kaplan - 610
Prep - 580,590,620,660

The 660 i got only once + there were around 12 qns repeated from previous test.
This is my second attempt i scored 580 in sep 2007 .. My target is
670 + .. have just 6 days left ..
someone please advice ..
My problem areas:
1- Silly mistakes in quant
2- Lack of concentration in verbal..

After test when i sit to analyze i get most of the wrong ones correct within no time and without looking at explanation...

Any last few days strategies ?? plssssss help
Am too tensed .. a 3rd attempt would be bad right ? should i just postpone it ?? any advice is most appreciated ..

Thanks,
Archana.
Archana Ambavane

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat2010 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:21 am
looks like you're bit tensed...please don't be!!! that'll not only drop your scores, but it doesn't serve any purpose. relax and go in with high confidence. you have to realize this is only a test and you can take it as many times as you want.

also, in my case, i was able to concentrate lot better during the actual exam. in terms of silly mistakes, we all have this problem. the key is to pay close attention to the problem. easier said than done, but make the commitment to answer what's being asked and you should avoid a lot of traps.

good luck!!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Natashangmat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:40 pm
hey archana,
so that means i am not alone....

My problem area is also
"2- Lack of concentration in verbal..
After test when i sit to analyze i get most of the wrong ones correct within no time and without looking at explanation"

i wonder why am I facing this problem...after the test when i attempt my wrong questions...i cud complete most of the SC's in like 45 seconds flat
the same is the case with CR also (within 1.5 mns)...

i m pretty confident that i have studied whatever it takes to get a gud score in verbal ...SC esp....but still TESTS are making me sick

EXPERTS / Veritas/ Kaplan/ Manhattan GURUS
plz help and suggest something

HOW to stay COOL AND CALM during Tests?

is there anyone else like me and archana who could guide us...faced SAME situation and got a great score?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:45 pm
For Verbal. If you have the time (DONT DO THIS THE WEEK BEFORE THE TEST) ... then a technique I used to use for sports (and most recently for GMAT) is to write CATs under adverse circumstances (little sleep etc). Your scores will be lower on these practice tests. But your mind will be trained for exhaustion.

Make sure you do the AWA and make sure you take no longer than 8 min breaks between sections.

Again: do this only if you have a few days off and dont do it leading up to the test. I found it helped me immensely with stamina (and hence concentration). After the tests .. do the regular routine of reviewing your answers and the solutions.

Also make sure you don't blow too many CATs on this practice (if you have a limited number). I suggest you do it with CATs you have already taken so that you save the fresh tests for real practice. Also, don't take this too far ... It can crush your confidence significantly if you start to believe the scores you get on these tests (I was pretty depressed walking into the test center since I had not scored high for a while)

Not sure if this works for everyone ... I think it helped me.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:48 pm
quick addition. I took 3 weeks off from work where I studied full time leading up to the test. So I could do this. It is probably not time well spent if you can only study on evenings or weekends.