Is there hope? SAVE ME.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is there hope? SAVE ME.

by gablaze23 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:16 am
I am an incoming senior (undergrad.) Its summer here in Manila and Ive decided to study early for the GMAT. I havent had math in two years.

So without any PREP (as in.. ZERO) I took the GMATprep. They say it is the CAT that best approximates your GMAT score. I got a 510 Q33 or Q35-dont remember-V27. While taking it, I expected a 300+. It was harder than I thought. I was thinking of taking the test with no prep. Honestly, even I only got a 510, I was actually very happy. Should I be happy? Realistically, what should I aim for??? I am aiming for a 700 since my GPA is very very low. Im not hoping for Kellog or Wharton, near elite schools are fine with me. I want to know my chances of getting a 700. I am going to spend at least 3 months of studying. Do you think I can make it??? PLEASE GIVE ME A GOOD APPROX OF MY GRADE.

Here is my study plan:
Please, please.. Give an advice if you can.

April
FIRST:Finish PR Cracking the GMAT
-I heard this book is good to lift your grade to high 500s or to around 600s. I am done reading. Just doing the diagnostics. Ive learned a lot of tricks from this book. The quant section sucks but verbal is ok.
SECOND: Finish Kaplan GMAT Premier Program
-No idea about this book I bought. I only know its popular among the people in the forum. Im hoping this will lift me somewhere around 630.

---GMATprep again to see where I am at. If still below 630..

THIRD(BACKUP:) Finish ARCO Master the GMAT
-I was able to download a PDF copy of the whole book for free! Im just not sure if its illegal or not. I will likely finish this book if I am not satisfied with my GMATprep.

May
FOURTH: Finish OG 11
-Ok I keep hearing that this is "the book." So hopefully this will take me around 680? There are no copies of this book in the bookstore. I have to order.

FIFTH: Do anything I find
-I used to do this strategy in high school. I looked for all the possible problems the test could offer. I will look in diff forums, books, etc. Ill also probably buy other books as well.

Final note: I dont really have a time table for the test. But Im hoping to take it mid-June.. before school starts. But if I dont feel I am already performing in a high level, I can postpone until August?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: Is there hope? SAVE ME.

by gabriel » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:31 am
gablaze23 wrote:I am an incoming senior (undergrad.) Its summer here in Manila and Ive decided to study early for the GMAT. I havent had math in two years.

So without any PREP (as in.. ZERO) I took the GMATprep. They say it is the CAT that best approximates your GMAT score. I got a 510 Q33 or Q35-dont remember-V27. While taking it, I expected a 300+. It was harder than I thought. I was thinking of taking the test with no prep. Honestly, even I only got a 510, I was actually very happy. Should I be happy? Realistically, what should I aim for??? I am aiming for a 700 since my GPA is very very low. Im not hoping for Kellog or Wharton, near elite schools are fine with me. I want to know my chances of getting a 700. I am going to spend at least 3 months of studying. Do you think I can make it??? PLEASE GIVE ME A GOOD APPROX OF MY GRADE.

Here is my study plan:

April
-I heard this book is good to lift your grade to high 500s or to around 600s. I am done reading. Just doing the diagnostics. Ive learned a lot of tricks from this book. The quant section sucks but verbal is ok.
-No idea about this book I bought. I only know its popular among the people in the forum. Im hoping this will lift me somewhere around 630.

-I was able to download a PDF copy of the whole book for free! Im just not sure if its illegal or not. I will likely finish this book if I am not satisfied with my GMATprep.

May
-Ok I keep hearing that this is "the book." So hopefully this will take me around 680? There are no copies of this book in the bookstore. I have to order.

-I used to do this strategy in high school. I looked for all the possible problems the test could offer. I will look in diff forums, books, etc. Ill also probably buy other books as well.

Final note: I dont really have a time table for the test. But Im hoping to take it mid-June.. before school starts. But if I dont feel I am already performing in a high level, I can postpone until August?

there absolutely is hope ... if u gave the GMAT with zilch idea abt it... then i wuld say that 510 is not that bad ... i know people who scored around 400 on their first test and in a few months changed it to 650+ .. there are also people hu scored around 500 on their first test and with dedicated studies scored 750+ on the actual gmat .. just the fact that u were expecting 300 but scored 510 means that ur underestimating urself .. dont do that be confident..

... looking at ur plan i need to say that u shuld start with OG 11 .. that wuld give u the best possible picture of what to expect on the GMAT .. also track ur performance ... and most important of all keep visitng BTG :D and actively take part in all the discussions happening ...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:58 pm
I agree with Gabriel. You can definitely do it. But, you'll need to approach it systematically.

What you need first is a proper evaluation of where you stand currently (I mean more than the numeric score). Identify your areas of strengths and weaknesses. Don't be disheartened if there are mostly weaknesses and only few strengths. The diagnostic test of OG 11 will be best for this evaluation.

Next, break the syllabus down to pieces (even PS into Geometry, Algebra etc.), and approach each piece independently first. It is important that you get your basics clear in this stage rather than take timed tests or measure accuracy etc. Take practice tests, but do not focus on speed or accuracy. Do not time them.

After you have gone through the basics and some practice, then move on to timed tests. Don't be in a hurry to reach this stage. If your basics are clear, timing and accuracy will come with practice. Only if you are comfortable with the topics, come to this stage. Now you can practice as many questions as possible.
While taking it, I expected a 300+. It was harder than I thought.

Remember, the questions might look very hard but many a times there are simple techniques that can be used to solve them. You'll become familiar with these as you progress in your preparation. And another important thing is, even if it might be difficult to solve a problem, eliminating four choices could be very easy. Do not think that the test is tough if the questions look tough. The difference in you expected score and the actual score proves this!

by gablaze23 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Thanks so much guys! Appreciate it.
Ill be trying the systematic thing.
Adios

Re: Is there hope? SAVE ME.

by bigTEX » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:03 pm
gablaze23 wrote:I am an incoming senior (undergrad.) Its summer here in Manila and Ive decided to study early for the GMAT. I havent had math in two years.

Here is my study plan:

April

May

Fellow Flip! Are you flip or are you just studying in the Philippines?

Don't really have too much to contribute but I think I saw your post at www.GMATCLUB.COM too, if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct........

by meramola » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:59 pm
[You are correct -usually people with no math background score around 300-400 in the CAT and 570 shows that your base is pretty sound. But you have a long way to go especially if you want to cover up for your GPA- Aim for 700+ . Can not suggest you the time factor as it depends on the person. I’ll say keep giving practice tests until you reach close to your desired score. There are organizations that can help you prepare, look online. https://www.manyagroup.com/modules.php?name=20c_Gmat is a prominent, there are others too.

]