gmat prep

by vaivish » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:42 am
need help on this
Attachments
gmat prep Q.doc
(71 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abcde » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:01 am
I guess, we'll start with what type of words are "of" and "that".

OF - is a preposition. A preposition links temporal, logical, spatial relationship of the subject to another phrase in a sentence - usually the entire meaning of the phrase is to modify the subject.

THAT - in this sentence, "that" is used to introduce a modifying phrase. moreover, its restrictive, essential, or defining.

Considering the above, is it B (my close second is D)?

My reasoning...breaking this sentence into some 2 pieces...

a) if your subject is "generalization", and you are describing a logical relationship to the other part of the sentence, it makes sense to use "of" vs "that".

b) if your next subject is "difference", you are describing something and in that sense, you are defining and being restrictive - in which case you need to use "that" vs "of".

Not sure if I got it right, but let me know what is the OA.

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:07 am
OA is D
the option with square box around.

I think we need that
+
different from is correct and

so differences from is wrong
it sounds weird also

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jazzcat4u » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:48 am
Wanna correct my previous post, looking at my explanation, I realized that the subject in my second split should not be "difference" it should be "processes".

I was torn btwn B and D, partly bc of the first split in the sentence btwn the usage of "of" vs "that".

Anyone care to add/elaborate on grammatical differences btwn "of" and "that" and more specifically when they should be used in a sentence? Will help shed some light.