A challenging SC

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

A challenging SC

by subhojit_dg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:28 am
Can someone help me crack this SC:-

18. A peculiar feature of the embryonic mammalian circulatory system is that in the area of the heart the cells adhere to one another, beating in unison and adopting specialized orientations exclusive of one another.
(A) beating in unison and adopting
(B) they beat in unison while adopting
(C) beat in unison, and adopt
(D) beating in unison yet adopting
(E) even though they beat in unison and adopt

More often than not i fail to apply my grammar rules to these types of questions.Plz help.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by lan0583 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:53 am
I believe the asnwer is E.

is that in the area of the heart, the cells adhere to one another even though they beat in unison and adopt specialized orientations exclusive of on another...

I can't explain it but just look at the flow of the sentence.

by subhojit_dg » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:23 am
Hey Thanks for your reply..

But the correct answer as per the book is D. I could not perceive this one as one where i can apply the rule of parellelism.Any thoughts?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by 800guy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:09 am
here's the parallelism:

adhere...beat...adopt

by gmat_score » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:12 pm
C.
Parallel grammer structure

by 800guy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:59 pm
subhojit_dg wrote:Hey Thanks for your reply..

But the correct answer as per the book is D. I could not perceive this one as one where i can apply the rule of parellelism.Any thoughts?
taking a second look at this thing--maybe the rules of parallelism don't apply after all.

'beating in unison, yet adopting' is modifying 'cells'. i've noticed in OG that verbs ending in '-ing' can serve to modify nouns in sentences. this is a pretty tricky one, but now that i think about it, it isn't a question that's necessarily testing parallelism.

by neeleshkhadse » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:00 am
The correct answer is D.

My Analysis:

Read the following part of the sentence carefully once again. It says, "beating in unison and adopting specialized orientations exclusive of one another."

Yes, for once you should give a thought to parallelism, but here we see that the original sentence uses parallelism correctly. So there should be somthing else.

After reading the above sentence we can see that the cells display contrasting notions, that of beating in unisons and that of adopting orientations exclusive of one another. One would expect the cells to adopt the same orientations since they beat in unison, but they do not. Thus, the word connecting both these notions should convey the above meaning, which is done correctly by YET. Hence, the answer D.

by 800guy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:43 pm
neeleshkhadse wrote:The correct answer is D.

My Analysis:

Read the following part of the sentence carefully once again. It says, "beating in unison and adopting specialized orientations exclusive of one another."

Yes, for once you should give a thought to parallelism, but here we see that the original sentence uses parallelism correctly. So there should be somthing else.

After reading the above sentence we can see that the cells display contrasting notions, that of beating in unisons and that of adopting orientations exclusive of one another. One would expect the cells to adopt the same orientations since they beat in unison, but they do not. Thus, the word connecting both these notions should convey the above meaning, which is done correctly by YET. Hence, the answer D.
thanks for the thorough explanation, neeleshkhadse!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dblazquez » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:18 pm
yeah the key is to express the potential controversy or paradox between unison vs. specialized using YET

good thread, everybody!

by bensanderson » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:39 pm
neeleshkhadse is absolutely correct. Using the word "yet" allows the sentence to make more sense.

one more thought though. we can tell this is not a question that tests parallel verb tenses because the subject is in the singular "A peculiar feature..." If we were listing features or actions, then we would have to pick parallel verb tenses--adhere, beat, adopt. However, we are clued into the fact that we are looking for a single strange feature right from the start. So right from the start, we can elimnate B, C and E because they assume that there is an incorrect verb tense. A is confusing. D makes it make sense. Using "yet" connects the three different actions (adhering, beating and adopting) and makes them ONE feature.
good luck!

Legendary Member

by vishubn » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:40 am
ne more Views ( IAN/stuart pleaseeeeeeee )... still confusing !!

vishu

Followed by:1 members

by Bidisha800 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:39 pm
A rotten old modifier SC !

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by chase4meg » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:19 am
IMO D

The cells adhere to each other and beat in unision 'yet' adopt sepcialized orientations that are exclusive to each cell.

I think the rest of the choices are either wordy or change the meaning of the sentence.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by andy9590 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:29 am
C is striking out to me for some reason. It's a toughie.
"On an epic journey to incinerate the GMAT"

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

Re: A challenging SC

by logitech » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:37 am
A peculiar feature of the embryonic mammalian circulatory system is that in the area of the heart the cells adhere to one another, beating in unison and adopting specialized orientations exclusive of one another.

Beating and Adopting , describes what heart cells are doing.

but we need YET to express the contrast

So --- > D as in Dracula!!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"