690 retake?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

690 retake?

by ForgetIt » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:46 pm
Hi everyone,

I just recently took the GMAT and only got a 690. I studied a lot, and I don't think this score reflects my abilities (my practice test scores were in the 750-780 range). I also feel the need to go to a top B-school - Harvard, Penn, Stanford, etc. The rest of my background is solid (nationally ranked top 3 college, 3.6 GPA, relevant work experience), but I feel like a 690 is going to hurt me and keep me from going to my top choice school.

Does anyone think it is worth retaking the GMAT? Even if I do better the second time, would schools count it against me that I had to take the test twice? Does anyone think that taking a class to study this time would help? In particular, I was considering either the basic or advanced Kaplan course because of the money back guaruntee.

Thanks for all the help!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:12 pm
Taking the exam is definitely welcome if you are sure that you can score better by 20-30 points. Schools will not consider it as a negative aspect.
Wish you good luck
Prasanna

Learn more about me

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:06 am
The problem is, you can't be sure that your score will go up. The average at the schools you mention is just over 700, so you're right in there. In other words, your GMAT score is sufficient and everything else looks good - if you don't get it, it probably will not be because of the GMAT. Hence I'd probably stick with the 690.

In my experience, students who studied well and didn't have a disaster on test day tend to score roughly the same on the 2nd attempt. So I'd say unless you're going to put in a whole lot more study time, it's just as likely that you'll do gown as you will go up.

If you do decide to take it, make sure you do something to ensure your score will go up - don't just walk in and take it again without studying more or devising a new strategy.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep