letters of Recommondation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

letters of Recommondation

by prad » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:41 am
Is it better to have two letters from the same employer or one from an academic professor and one from a recentemployer?
In one of my applications there is a chart on how I compare to other applicants known during the employers career, there are check boxes for top 2%, top 10%, top 20%, top 1/3, middle 1/3, bottom 1/3, and unable to judge. My employer put checks in the exceptional top 2% for every category. Does this look unrealistic, I am very close with the employer and can ask them to downgrade some of the marks, or should I just go with the grades they gave me. I feekl that top 2% seems unrealistic but maybe not. I there is a category that they should down grade what should it be, intellectual ability, leadership, working with others, analytical ability, initiative, motivation for program of study, potential for careers development, oral communication, written communications, or maturity.
I am grateful for your response
Thank You,
Peter

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:20 pm
Dear Peter,

Most schools prefer recommendations from the professional environment. It does not matter if both come from the same company. As for the chart the recommender completes, that is really something the recommender should answer honestly without your input. Schools want recommenders to be honest and answer without influence from the applicant. I think the best course of action is for you to tell your recommender to be honest and not involve you in how the forms are being completed. Just my 2 cents as a former admissions director...

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by prad » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:58 am
Is i ok if they consider me to be in the top 2% of the company of every category?
Should I just send the letters that they wrote, scholl said either, or both is fine?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 pm
It is if you they believe you are in the top 2% of these categories. It is best to not get involved with how the forms are completed and trust that your recommenders are completing the forms accurately. If they have written the forms, then they should be submitted without edits from you.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me