Profile Evaluation and B-school Suggestion

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Can anyone suggest which programs would be approachable given my profile? and how can i deal with the concerns i have in my application?

Please provide the detailed explaination to my questions if possible ... it would be great help.

My Profile:

Indian female with approximately 3.5 years of excellent work ex with a start-up corporate finance advisory company in New Delhi, India (currently leading the Analytics team for last year and a half and also handling other operational activities like HR, Training, and little bit of marketing effort as well)

GMAT: 710 (Quant 50, Verbal, 35)

Undergraduate: B.A. (honors) - Economics
12th Standard: Commerce with Mathematics (aggregare: 87.6%)
10th Standard aggregate: 80.0%

Concerns:

1. Low undergraduate scores

2. No extracurricular or community service after school (12th standard)

3. Skewed GMAT Score

An early reply shall be helpful

Thanks in advance!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:30 am
Dear Achiever2008,

Thanks for your post. It's hard to really give you specific feedback on school selection without understanding your goals...but here is my quick take:

1. Your GMAT overall score is fairly solid. Your verbal, however, is a bit low (I presume that a 35 puts you in the 70's range for percentiles). This is not the end of the world though.

2. You mention that your ugrad grades were weak, but you did not provide the marks you earned. The business schools have no interest in your high-school (12th standard/10th standard) marks. When it comes to academics, they are pretty much 100% focused on your ugrad GPA and your GMAT.

3. Was your ugrad degree a 4-year degree? Many of the top programs in the US require a 4-year ugrad degree. If you studied for only three years, you may need to check with the schools you are targeting to see if this is acceptable.

4. Your work experience looks interesting and somewhat entrepreneurial, which is always a plus.

5. Your lack of XCs is a liability. Did you do nothing but study while at university? You may want to begin working to address this issue ASAP.

Again, it's hard to recommend schools without understanding your goals, etc.

One thought: since you are only 23, you might benefit from taking an additional year to work, build your activities profile and apply next year.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.