Hi Graham, Please evaluate profile

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:650

Hi Graham, Please evaluate profile

by mbakid » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:42 am
28 year old, Male, Asian, American now living in Hong Kong for past year (will be 2 years by MBA), Speak Cantonese

GMAT 650

Undergrad:
BS Computer Science, 3.27 GPA, University of Southern California
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Accountancy, 3.56 GPA, Arizona State University

Work Experience:
I started and now run a successful online retail business with sales approaching 250k for the first year. I have gained a lot of experience with all aspects of running a business including sourcing supplies and employees, managing working capital, accounting, fraud prevention, working with software developers, customer service, online marketing (which is completely different than offline marketing). I now have the infrastructure in place where I do not have to handle day to day operations anymore. By the time, I go to MBA, I will have 2 years of experience starting and running an online business.

MY EXPERIENCE BEFORE STARTING MY BUSINESS

1 year: Fixed Income Analyst at a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank (sell side: risk mgmt services, fixed income solutions)

1 year: Financial Analyst at Waste Disposal Company (financial analytics, reporting, project management)

1 year : Audit Associate at Mid-Tier Public Accounting Firm: lead financial audit engagements for public, private and non-profit organization

Extra Curricular: Visiting disabled orphans in China, Learning to write Chinese and speaking Mandarin

Goals:
Get into an entrepreneurial mba program to take my business to the next level by filling in certain knowledge gaps of running a business and developing more contacts.

Recommendations: 1 from my old manager at the waste disposal company and 1 from my Vice President from a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank. Both are direct supervisors and should be excellent.

Please evaluate for Cornell, Duke, Wash U, BC, ASU, Georgetown, USC, Virginia, UNC, Rice

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:19 am
Dear MBAkid,

You have an interesting background when it comes to international+entrepreneurial experience. Having said that, there are two significant concerns:

1) Academics. Your ugrad grades are below average for admission to the top-tier MBA programs on your list (Cornell, Duke, UVA, UNC). Your GMAT of 650 is also low for these programs (as well as Georgetown and USC), serving to corroborate the evidence provided by the GPA.

2) Work Experience. It looks like you've had four jobs in four years - which is never a good sign in the mind of the adcom. This implies that you are either fickle, or fail to excel in the work environment (since admissions officers like to see applicants who stay in their jobs long enough to see increases in responsibility, leadership, etc). You will need to work hard to provide the rationale for the moves you have made.

At this point, with the information you have provided, my sense is that your odds at BC, ASU, Rice and Wash. U will be much better than your odds at Georgetown and USC, which will in turn be much better than your odds at UNC, Darden, UVA and Cornell.

Retaking the GMAT and scoring closer to 700 would be a good idea - esp. since you may have some liabilities on the work experience side (moving around a lot) and will want to limit weaknesses elsewhere in your profile.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.