00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

10 factories, working for h hours per day, can produce P units of cars in every 5 days. Each factory produces car at the same constant rate. What is the additional time taken by the 10 factories to produce 2P units of cars, if they work for h/2 hours per day instead of h hours per day?

A. 0
B. 2
C. 5
D. 10
E. 20

OA D

Source: e-GMAT

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:14 am
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:10 factories, working for h hours per day, can produce P units of cars in every 5 days. Each factory produces car at the same constant rate. What is the additional time taken by the 10 factories to produce 2P units of cars, if they work for h/2 hours per day instead of h hours per day?

A. 0
B. 2
C. 5
D. 10
E. 20
When the factories work for h hours per day, P cars are produced every 5 days, with the result that 2P cars are produced every 10 days.
If the daily work-hours are CUT IN HALF -- to h/2 hours per day -- the number of days required for 2P cars will DOUBLE to 20.
Since the time for 2P cars increases from 10 days to 20 days, the number of additional days required = 20-10 = 10.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:41 pm
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:10 factories, working for h hours per day, can produce P units of cars in every 5 days. Each factory produces car at the same constant rate. What is the additional time taken by the 10 factories to produce 2P units of cars, if they work for h/2 hours per day instead of h hours per day?

A. 0
B. 2
C. 5
D. 10
E. 20

OA D

Source: e-GMAT
Normally, the factories will take 10 days to produce 2P units of car if they work h hours per day. However, if they only work h/2 hours per day, the number of days will be doubled to 20 to produce 2P units of car. Therefore, they need an additional 10 days.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage