how many correct questions for a verbal score 35+

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi.
I have been practicing lately to improve my verbal score. I have been scoring consistently 29-32 in the GMATPrep and MGMAT practice tests. I noticed that for the GMATPrep I make mistakes around 14-16 and in MGMAT 18-21.

Also, when I review, I realise I could have got atleast 4-5 of them right if I had more time to think on them. Any suggestions how to improve on this ?

Since, I never got a 35 so far, I would like to ask candidates who have scored above 35 that on an average how many questions they answered incorrectly ? I would like to know how is it like getting a 35. Is it only a matter of getting a couple of more questions right when you are getting a 32 ?

I know, that the score also depends on the level of difficulty of questions you answer and not only on the number of right answers, but still there would an average of how many questions should be right to get a 35 or above.

Please reply me.

sp19.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by srini72425 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:26 am
This really depends on the difficulty level in the tests but usually on the GMATPrep if you get around 27-29 questions right ur verbal score would be in the mid-30's (34-36)

by trafficspinners » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:57 am
At an average how many questions needs to be correct, to get an score of 42 minimum in verbal.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:34 am
Hi Everyone,

There's an inherent problem with this type of thinking: the GMAT includes "experimental" questions which do NOT count. As such, basing your expectations on the number of correct answers is not correct (since some of your correct answers won't actually count).

Here's a better way to gauge your progress (and how much additional practice you need):

1) How many "silly" mistake did you make? Be honest. Identify the errors you made, then practice to eliminate them from your work. These errors are what are costing you points. Until you fix them, your score won't improve.
2) How many times did you "narrow it down to 2 choices and then guess?" This is called "coin-flipping" and it's a remarkably unstable way to take a test. On some days, you'll get all of the "guesses" correct, on other days, you'll get them all incorrect. That's too much of a potential swing in your score. Learn some additional tactics and you can take the guess-work out of coin-flipping (incidentally, this is one of the Tactics that the EMPOWERgmat course specializes in).
3) How is your pacing? Are you forced to guess on questions because you're not fast enough? Familiarity with CR/RC logic and questions types as well as all the SC rules should help with pacing.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by katewinslet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:52 pm
Many self-studiers hit a "ceiling" in their studies. You've gone about as far as you can go on your own, so if you want to increase your score, you're going to need some consistent, professional help. Can you provide your scoring info for each of your Official GMATs? I have some suggestions for you, but I'd like to see all of the data first.

Guaranteed Testking 642-889 preparation with tibco certification dumps online training! Also get free download link for Aruba .Also see more details on University of Cambridge and Augusta State University website.Best wishes.