00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.

(A) For all his professed disdain of such activities,

(B) Having always professed disdain for such activities,

(C) All such activities were, he professed, disdained, and

(D) Professing that all such activities were disdained,

(E) In spite of professions of disdaining all such activities,

OA: A

Dear GMATGuru,

Can you please shed light about the OA? the meaning of the question or what does it test?

Why E is wrong?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:16 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Mo2men wrote:Dear GMATGuru,

Can you please shed light about the OA? the meaning of the question or what does it test?
When a sentence begins with for all + POSSESSIVE, for all = DESPITE.
OA: For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.
Conveyed meaning:
Despite his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.
Why E is wrong?
E: In spite of professions of disdaining all such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.
Here. the professions seem to be attributed not to Auden but to people in general, distorting the intended meaning of the original sentence, which refers to AUDEN'S professed disdain.
Another issue:
Generally, a VERBing implies a TEMPORARY ACTION performed at the same time as the main action.
For this reason, the VERBing in red implies that people are temporarily DISDAINING gossip-like activities.
The original sentence, however, conveys that Auden has not a temporary aversion to such activities but a general DISDAIN for them.
Since E distorts the intended meaning by conveying that the disdaining is only temporary, eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3