50%

Total votes: 2

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:720

How good are Kaplan Cats?

by dumb.doofus » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:55 pm
Hi,

I had enrolled in Kaplan course. Course is over but I am giving the tests as of now..
My scores are:
Diagnostic: 670
Cat 1: 740
Cat 2: 720
Cat 3: 690
Cat 4: 700
Cat 6: 710
Cat 7: 770
Cat 5 and 8: Still pending

I don't see a consistency in these tests.. I gave Cat 7 today.. Finished quant with 30 mins to spare.. Those were toooo many easy questions.. I thought they were of the 500 - 600 or 600 - 700 range.. Got all of them right..

I really don't know if these exams are a true indicator of real world GMAT.

Please help in clarifying this ambiguity..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members
Hi,

Congrats on some very strong scores thus far in your program! I do want to point out a couple of considerations with regard to your practice tests, and Kaplan CATs in general.

First of all, there is a distinction between the CATs on a CDROM you may get with certain retail books, and our online CATs that are available to our enrolled students. The online CATs are the most up to date and are continually assessed and updated to ensure validity and accuracy. That level of realism is not possible in a static set of exams on a CD, though as my colleague from our publishing department pointed out, the retail books are moving towards using online CATs as well in future books. You mentioned that you have taken a course with us, so you ARE using the up to date CAT pool, which means that your practice test scores are a good indicator of your actual score level. (I did want to point out that distinction for other viewers, however, as that may affect 'poll results'!)

The online CATs are, as I said, continually assessed and updated, correlations between highest Kaplan CAT score and the actual GMAT score are extremely strong, so we are therefore confident that we have the most realistic practice tests available, based on the validity of the exams, as well as the fact that we spend more time and money on research and development to ensure strong prep materials than any other company. (We also see the strongest overall results-- a Harris poll recently verified that more people get into business school with a Kaplan course than any other GMAT course.)

It is very common over the course of taking many exams that you will see variability. There are several reasons for this, including: a) even the actual GMAT has a 30 point margin of error, or you could see variability if you took the GMAT multiple times too, b) as you practice more, you are likely to improve, c) there are different psychological factors that can have more of an impact than you might expect-- a day where you are more or less tired, focused, hungry, stressed...all can make an impact, or d) sometimes you truly may see a few more questions on a topic you happen to be stronger or weaker on.

All that said, your scores are very strong, so I am confident that you will see strong results on test day as well. Good luck with your application to business school, and let us know if you have any questions!
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member