00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The Internet enables people who are thousands of miles apart to conveniently speak or otherwise contact each other.

A. miles apart to conveniently speak or otherwise contact each

B. miles apart to conveniently speak or otherwise contact one

C. miles apart to conveniently speak to or otherwise contact each

D. miles apart to conveniently speak to or otherwise contact one

E. miles apart to conveniently speak to or make contact with each

OA C

Source: Economist Gmat

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

edit-

by deloitte247 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Each other - refers to two people while One another refer to more than two people.
On the account of "Speak to" being used in this context, the sentence simply refers to two people. So, 'each other' is more applicable in usage here to 'one another'.

OPTION A - INCORRECT
"Speak to" is a phrasal verb used in situation where two people communicate with each other or where one speaker speaks and the other person listens to the speaker.
So, "speak" cannot serve the function of "speak to" in this option because it doesn't give a correct sentence formation. Therefore, I can say that this choice of answer is not correct.

OPTION B - INCORRECT
The same reason for the missing phrasal verb "speak to" which makes option A invalid is also applicable to option B. Therefore, this option is not correct

OPTION C - CORRECT
Here, the option has the ideal error-free sentence formation. As "speak to" has been explained explicitly in option A, this option is valid in that part. but let us look at the end part of the statement regarding the appropriate usage of EACH/ONE.
Remember, I said in the beginning of this solution that the question suggests two people. So, in this case, EACH is the appropriate word to use.

OPTION D - INCORRECT
The only difference between this option and option C is on the usage of ONE ANOTHER. Since "one another" is use explicitly for interaction between three or more people, but the question here suggests two people. Therefore, it is safe to say option D is wrong

OPTION E - INCORRECT
The use "make contact with" in this context changed the meaning of the question. "Make contact with" should only be applicable in a situation whereby you have to first find out the location of the person you want to talk to, and then talk or write to them.
Can you see we have deviated from the true meaning of the main question?
Therefore, I can confidently say that this option is incorrect.

Thanks<i class="em em-v"></i>