00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The R students in a class agree to contribute equally to buy their teacher a birthday present that costs y dollars. If x of the students later fail to contribute their share, which of the following represents the additional number of dollars that each of the remaining students must contribute in order to pay for the present?

(A) y/R
(B) y/(R-x)
(C) xy/(R-x)
(D) xy/(R(R-x))
(E) y/(R(R-x))

OA D

Source: Princeton Review

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:20 am
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:The R students in a class agree to contribute equally to buy their teacher a birthday present that costs y dollars. If x of the students later fail to contribute their share, which of the following represents the additional number of dollars that each of the remaining students must contribute in order to pay for the present?

(A) y/R
(B) y/(R-x)
(C) xy/(R-x)
(D) xy/(R(R-x))
(E) y/(R(R-x))
Let y=$10 and R=10 students, with the result that the original share per student = ($10)/(10 students) = $1.
Let x=9, implying that the number of students decreases by 9 to 1.
New share per student = ($10)/(1 student) = $10.
Increase in share per student = 10-1 = $9.

The correct answer must yield $9 when y=10, R=10 and x=9.
Only D works:
xy/(R(R-x)) = (9*10)/(10(10-9)) = 90/10 = 9.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:57 am
BTGmoderatorDC wrote:The R students in a class agree to contribute equally to buy their teacher a birthday present that costs y dollars. If x of the students later fail to contribute their share, which of the following represents the additional number of dollars that each of the remaining students must contribute in order to pay for the present?

(A) y/R
(B) y/(R-x)
(C) xy/(R-x)
(D) xy/(R(R-x))
(E) y/(R(R-x))

OA D

Source: Princeton Review
The original amount of money paid is y/R

The new amount of money paid is y/(R - x)

The difference is:

y/(R - x) - y/R

yR/[R(R-x)] - y(R-x)/[R(R-x)]

(yR- yR + yx)/[R(R-x)]

yx/[R(R-x)]

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:31 am
Hi All,

While this question is wordy, and will require some note-taking, it can be solved by TESTing VALUES.

Let's TEST...
R = 5 students
Y = 50 dollars
X = 3 fail to pay

So the 'story' is that 5 students agree to pay an equal amount for a $50 present (that's $10 per student). We're told that 3 of them fail to pay (3 students x $10/each = $30 unpaid). Thus, the remaining 2 students have to pay an extra $30/2 = $15 each for the present.

Thus, we're looking for an answer that equals 15 when R=5, Y=50 and X=3

While the answer choices look complex, there are some patterns involved: several of the calculations repeat (for example, R-X appears in 4 of the answers, so you do NOT need to calculate it 4 separate times). Since Y = 50, any answer with Y alone in the numerator can be skipped over (there is no integer that will make 50/integer = 15). That leaves two answers to TEST and just a bit of arithmetic.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]