00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Before 1988, insurance companies in California were free to charge whatever rates the market would bear, needing no approval from regulators before raising rates.

(A) needing no approval from regulators before raising
(B) and it needed no approval by regulators before raising
(C) and needing no approval from regulators before they raised
(D) with approval not needed by regulators before they raised
(E) with no approval needed from regulators before the raising of

A

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:54 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Generally, COMMA + VERBing serves to modify the nearest preceding action and the agent of this action.

Given this rule, I received a PM requesting that I justify the usage of COMMA + needing in the OA:
Insurance companies in California were free to charge whatever rates the market would bear, needing no approval from regulators.

Here, the two colored portions serve not as an agent but as an OBJECT for the verb charge.
Question: WHAT do insurance companies charge?
Answer: They charge WHATEVER RATES THE MARKET WOULD BEAR.
Because the two colored portions do not serve as an agent -- the red portion is simply an adjective describing the blue portion -- it is clear that COMMA + needing refers not to the two colored portions but to INSURANCE COMPANIES (the agent of charge).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by studythinking » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:35 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Thanks a lot for the great explanation!

by ShukhratJon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:02 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:Generally, COMMA + VERBing serves to modify the nearest preceding action and the agent of this action.

Given this rule, I received a PM requesting that I justify the usage of COMMA + needing in the OA:
Insurance companies in California were free to charge whatever rates the market would bear, needing no approval from regulators.

Here, the two colored portions serve not as an agent but as an OBJECT for the verb charge.
Because the two colored portions do not serve as an agent -- the red portion is simply an adjective describing the blue portion -- it is clear that COMMA + needing refers not to the two colored portions but to INSURANCE COMPANIES (the agent of charge).
Mitch Sir,

What does prevent 'comma + needing' from modifying the nearest action bear and its agent market? That was the reason why I eliminated A, basing on the rule you mentioned. I would appreciate If you could elaborate on this. Thank you very much beforehand.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

ShukhratJon wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:Generally, COMMA + VERBing serves to modify the nearest preceding action and the agent of this action.

Mitch Sir,

What does prevent 'comma + needing' from modifying the nearest action bear and its agent market? That was the reason why I eliminated A, basing on the rule you mentioned. I would appreciate If you could elaborate on this. Thank you very much beforehand.

Here, the portion in blue is a NOUN CLAUSE serving as the direct object of to charge.
A noun clause functions as a single unit.
Generally, it is not possible for a nonessential modifier -- such as COMMA + VERBing -- to modify the individual components of a noun clause.
For this reason, it is clear that COMMA + needing refers not to would bear but to the preceding infinitive (to charge) and to the agent of this infinitive (insurance companies).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ShukhratJon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:21 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote: Here, the portion in blue is a NOUN CLAUSE serving as the direct object of to charge.
A noun clause functions as a single unit.
Generally, it is not possible for a nonessential modifier -- such as COMMA + VERBing -- to modify the individual components of a noun clause.
For this reason, it is clear that COMMA + needing refers not to would bear but to the preceding infinitive (to charge) and to the agent of this infinitive (insurance companies).
Mitch Sir,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. However, I still feel a bit confused about COMMA+VERBing here - because I can't help perceiving your other two explanations for the same issue to be contradictory. I would be endlessly grateful if you could shade some light on them. Here are the links:

1. https://www.beatthegmat.com/post760732.html#760732
2. https://www.beatthegmat.com/post752230.html#752230

1. In the first link, the way you elaborate on the OE for D implies that the non-essential which-modifier CAN be removed and, as a result, COMMA+APPLYING seems to refer to HOUSE BUILDERS. You didn't reject that OE and therefore I thought that you must be approving it:

D. Many house builders offer rent-to-buy programs, [which enables a family with insufficient savings for a conventional down payment to move into new housing], applying part of the rent to a purchase later.

2. However, in the second link you wrote that generally, COMMA+VERBing serves to refer to the nearest preceding action and the performer of that action. The implication is that we CAN'T remove the nonessential which-modifier while identifying what COMMA+VERBing is referring to because that COMMA+VERBing can be a part of which-modifier and has to be removed together.

D. ...which enables a family to move into new housing, applying part of the rent to a purchase later.

According to you, here COMMA+APPLYING seems to refer to the nearest action to move and its agent a family. Doesn't this contradict to what you wrote in the first link? I know that D is wrong, and COMMA+APPLYING is an illogical modification here. My question is - what is COMMA+APPLYING actually trying to refer to technically? (I mean can we indeed remove which-modifier the way OE does?)

Thank you very much beforehand!